Harden-It/Secure-It

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CogitoErgoSum, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

After applying the recommended registry changes by Harden-It and/or Secure-It, I checked my registry and found that two specific registry entries were not created despite being selected. The two entries in question are "QueryIpMatching" and "ArpRetryCount". The former would be placed in HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\DNSCache\Parameters and the latter would be placed in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters. FYI, my OS is Windows XP Home SP2. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum :D

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi CogitoErgoSum,

Having made registry changes previously, I went to here and searched for each entry. The first entry, QueryIpMatching, lead to a webpage entitled "Microsoft Windows XP - DNS Caching, Network Prioritization, and Security" and at the bottom gave advice to set the entry. A search for ArpRetryCount lead to a webpage by the same name with similar advice.

I suspect both harden-it and/or secure-it only modify the value if the registry entry already exists, probably preferring to err on the conservative side as a design decision I would guess.

If you create the entries in the appropriate locations in the registry, my guess is that you can then see whichever app is the one or both that make the changes will then do so - and you can probably toggle them back and forth and see the results with regedit.

I would suggest you find and read the webpages at MS via searching for the entry names as did to understand what MS's take on each is before proceeding.

-- Tom

3. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Thanks lotuseclat79 for the advice.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgo :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.