Hard Drive Warranty Replacement - New or Refurbished

Discussion in 'polls' started by TheKid7, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Warranty Replacement Hard Drive: New or Refurbished

1. New Hard Drive

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Refurbished Hard Drive

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Not Sure

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

When you send a defective hard drive to the manufacturer for replacement under the manufacturer's warranty, does the manufacturer send you a New hard drive or a Refurbished hard drive?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Never had a problem with HDD's and i hope i never have. :D

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Seagate EU - Refurbished Hard Drive

4. TheKid7

The "New" replacement hard drive (Western Digital 500 GB RE4) that I received was my first ever Warranty replacement hard drive. In the past, the few hard drives that I have seen fail were out of Warranty at the time of failure.

I had a 2 TB Samsung hard drive fail recently. I just shipped it back for Warranty replacement. It will be interesting to see if Seagate gives me a "New" replacement hard drive.

Both of the failed hard drives had the same type of problem: Read Failure. Since the problem was only Read Failure, I was able to do a Full Wipe (zero write to all sectors) before shipping the defective hard drives for replacement.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

we deal with a lot of drive warranties each year and i dont know of any company that sends out new drives unless they actually dont have the exact model in stock but then they usually upgrade the drive with a better refurbished drive. we only VERY rarely see a new drive as a replacement.

6. TheKid7

Actually, I 'assumed' that the replacement hard drive that I just received was "New". The date of manufacture is April 29, 2013, it was in "New" packaging and I saw no mention anywhere of it being 'Refurbished'.

7. guest

guest Guest

I never had a drive fail on me yet, maybe lucky and I've had some over 15 years old, still ran fine:thumb:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Same as @guest and @Noob.:thumb:

9. TheKid7

I just got the Warranty replacement hard drive. It says "Seagate Certified Repaired HDD" on it. It is not a 2 TB Samsung. It is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.