Hard drive upgrade with Ghost gone wrong

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by harryd, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harryd

harryd Registered Member

Hard Drive Upgrade with Norton Ghost gone wrong.
    Hi a have recently upgraded my hard drive from a 36Gig to a 120Gig hard drive.
    The drive was partitioned into two partitions.
    The first partition was an NTFS Partition for Windows 2003 Ent Server.
    The second partition was a 4Gig Fat32 Partition formated w/Dos.
    I created the second partition to house a backup file of my hard drive.
    The backup was for restoring a ghost image file as needed.
    I was using the OS Selector to choose the second partition to boot from in the event i needed to restore my hard drive.
    That worked great! So i decided to upgrade the capacity of my entire drive.
    I took a snapshot of the entire drive with ghost and copied it to and external source. Then installed the new Hard drive. Durring the restore of my ghost image of the entire drive, Ghost allowes for expanding the partition sizes to fit the larger capaicty. I did this porpotionatly. Upon a reboot i got an error indicating a problem with the MBR and then a non system disk error. I booted from the OS selector media and performed an upgrade or repair option and that fixed everything.
    I there a way to avoid this from being nessasary each time i upgrade my hard drive?
    I plan to purchase and use this product on 1000 more servers is it proves to be versital enough for changes like hard drives.
    thanks
    Harry

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Harry,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Acronis OS Selector writes its own code into MBR. This code stays unmodified during the cloning but the hard drive changes. That is why the code becomes useless and needs to be rewritten.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.