Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SonyaM32, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

My computer is new. I bought it in Oct 04.
    I would like to know how I tell if it has more than one hard drive? I know alot of new computers do. I don't know much about hardware :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I have an eMachine if that helps.
    Thanks

2. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

A. On the desktop, right click My computer and select properties. Then select the hardware tab and then click Device Manager. Then click the little + next to Disk drives. Each disk drive on your machine will now show up. This shows how many actual hard disk drives are on your machine.

B. One actual hard disk drive can be partitioned so it it acts like 2 or more disk drives. On the desktop, doubleclick My Computer. On the menu bar select view-details. Now look in the right hand pane and see how many Local disks are listed under the Type column.

By checking A and B you should be able to work out what's in your machine

e.g. if A says you have 1 hard disk and B says you have 2, then you have 1 actual hard disk but it is partitioned to make it act as if you had 2.

Hope this makes sense.

3. SexIsGood4U

SexIsGood4U Registered Member

Hi SonyaM32 :D

Either that, or open the side panel of your box (pc console) and have a look for something internal that does not show to the external in any way (the size roughly 10cm x 15cm x 3cm.

That is your physical hard drive. If You bought it without custom built, then "usually" it would one come with one physical hard drive.
    And Yes, SpikeyB is correct, one physical hard drive can be partitioned into many disk hard drives.

Recommended - gain some knowledge about what partitioning hard drive can do for you before attempting. Then ask yourself will I make use partitioning hard drive.

Please feel free to ask any other questions :D

Kindest Regards
    :D :ninja: :D

4. SonyaM32

Thanks,
    Here is what is under disk drives, and I don't have a clue :D

Attached Files:

5. jaws...

jaws... Guest

You have one physical hard drive. A Seagate 80 GB HD.

Type in: st380012a
    in google to take you to seagate info.

6. SonyaM32

Thank jaws and everyone else :cool:

7. SexIsGood4U

SexIsGood4U Registered Member

Hi SonyaM32,

Do you have any devices plugged into any of your USB ports. Going by what you posted, it looks to be a card reader. Do you have a card reader installed either internal or external. Either that or your printer has those facility. Alot of printers are starting to come with inbuilt card readers.
    That is what that is. Card readers are mainly used for for digital cameras where you can take out the memory chip and plug it directly into your pc.
    Handy as they are. It does not actually give you extra space.

CF, MS, SD, SM are just some of the different types of memory cards for different cameras. ;)

And to answer you question, you only have one hard drive ;)

If you need more of an explanation, let me know. I will be back in a few days hopefully (if i can remember) ;)

Kind Regards
    SIG4U
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.