Hard drive failure responsible for two thirds of data loss

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://betanews.com/2014/06/11/hard-drive-failure-responsible-for-two-thirds-of-data-loss/

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

My desktop HDD is 8 years old, still no failure. :)

It probably also depends on how heavily the drive is used. Btw, it´s a Maxtor 250GB drive.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If i were you, i'd make sure to have backups . . . just in case. Hahahahaha
    I've had 2 drive fail on me.
    One was a WD 40GB which was around 8 years old when it failed and the other one was a 5GB that failed just after a couple years. (Forgot brand)

I'm already thinking of getting a new external drive to make a backup of my backup. Hahahaha

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

8 years is nothing:p...mine is 10yrs a Samsung 160GB :D

5. siriusly

siriusly Registered Member

My HDD's failed because of the high humidity environment I was living in. This was more of an inconvenience than anything as I had back up at the time.

The greater problem for me was when my SSD failed. I had made a backup the month previous and it wasn't a mirror so I wasn't ready.

When SSD's go down it's like a light switch. No warning and POW! data gone. If you are a tech genius you might be able to get the device up again if it is only the controller otherwise it's a lot of messing around to get that data back.

I am now looking at RAID 1 arrays for my primary SSD as days of re-installing the universe is quite inconvenient.

My HDD's are much more reliable for long term data storage imo.

6. Rasheed187

I´m also not sure what to think about SSD´s, some say they are more reliable than HDD´s, and other says it´s the other way around. But most new PC´s nowadays come with both a SSD (for OS data and apps) and a HDD for data storage. I´m still figuring out if it´s possible to boot up from the HDD if the SSD fails.

7. Rasheed187

Yes of course, I´ve made a backup of the most important files, it would be crazy not to do that. :)

That´s kinda nice, that´s why you should always go for a top brand.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Luckily my 40GB HDD didnt fail suddenly (After 8 years).
    It started with some corrupted files (Very very few ones) and then for a couple months (Like half a year) sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not but this only happened when i moved the computer or unplugged the HDD. LOL
    Then i decided to update my old backup and a week later it completely died. I was lucky hahahaha

I dont have experience with Samsung HDDs but i have diagnosed/fixed multiple PC's from my friends and Samsung HDDs have an insanely high failure rate along with Seagates in my experience.
    Right now i have 5 Samsung HDDs collecting dust that had less than 3 years of use and 3 Seagate HDDs with around 1-3 years of use.

9. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

I had a Intel X-25m SSD fail after less than 2 years and not a lot of writes. Also a Western Digital desktop internal hard drive after maybe 2 years, and a brand new Apricorn Aegis Padlock portable drive.

I had backups of most everything, but not latest versions of some files. Even so, took long time to reconstruct some of the data. :angry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.