Hard drive failure about to happen?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tarnak, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Dundertaker, thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of it, but i will give it a try.

2. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

It is kind of "funny" that you bring up Hitachi because the drive I described were either Hitachi of Fujitsu, can't remember which brand.
    Another "funny" thing is that I had told the guy for months that even though the tool told that his drive were allright then he ought to get a new harddrive, because in the end I only trusted my gut feeling and common sense that all told me that it probably were the drive. The guy wouldn't listen and when the drive finally died , which it did , it not only died but also fried both motherboard and PSU... But he was looking stifly at the measly little amount of money a drive swap would cost him and wouldn't listen. Of course this were a cheap pre-built he had bought prior to making my aquintance - I would never have put something together like what he were running. ;)
    But actually he started to listen sometimes , though it were really hard for him, so the next computer (a tertiary) he bought I just took one look on the specs and then told him to return it, which he actually then did.... So what do you know.. some people actually have the ability to both learn and listen ;) :D :cool:

But thanks for the tip with respect to Spinrite. I know of the program that is made by Steve Gibson from Gibson Research (a person for whom I actually hold some admiration because of his attitude towards programming) , but I have never used the program because it is a paid program, and also generally if any drives start to fail and I am around to notice then I'll generally tell people to swap the drive with a new one....

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I need recommendations on the best applications to use for monitoring for early disk failure. It has come to my attention that I have been lossing large amounts of data on some of my external disk. Is HDD Regenerator a good choice? I also know of HDD Tuner Pro. I need something thats going to alert me when data is being lost. It has to work in real-time, and not just on-demand. So far it looks like HDD Regenerator is in the line of what i'm looking for, but I would like to know of other Apps that may work as good or better since HDD Regenerator is a little expensive.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.