Hard disk utilities help!!!!!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by adrianyujs, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

Hi! I'm looking for a software, doesn't matter is DOS based or Windows based, that LOCK or ENCRYPT hard disk until the hard disk cannot be format or partition under windows or under DOS. Please help me, I really need it.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

(I don't know if I do understand your question, but) I think that it is not possible. The only option here is to use hardware protection offered by the BIOS or other embedded security in chips. That might lock a harddisks. Any other option must be unsecure in this respect. You can format any disk once you can boot from another medium (cd, diskette, usb).

There is, however, someway to lock certain harddisks by using the tools provided by harddisk manufacturers. In C'T magazine appeared this frightening story. Perhaps you can use it?

3. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

Thanks meneer, but that site didn't help me a lot. Here is what i want, i want to encrypt or lock a hard disk, then i borrow to my friend, when he use that hard disk, he will think that hard disk already "DAMAGE" which means he can't format and partition(fdisk).

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

You better encrypt the whole harddisk, using DriveCrypt or Compusec (last one seems free).

5. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

To lock a harddisk you can try WriteProt. To encrypt TrueCrypt. Both are free or Open Source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.