Hard disk manager suite 2011 professional?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by buser, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buser

buser Registered Member

My goal is to backup at the sector level of windows 7 64bit ultimate, and restore at the raw level onto another disk with multiple SSD possibly spanning dynamic volumes (mirrors, stripes, raid5). Basically do this before booting the OS. HDM 2011 suite currently does not do this right?

If I buy HDM 2010 professional does this automatically qualify me for upgrades to HDM 2011 professional? I don't know how long the wait is for professional version.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

3. buser

buser Registered Member

Thanks. I see 2011 professional is out.

Let's say I already have windows 7 64bit ultimate partition installed on a windows software raid5. This raid is sitting on multiple SSD. I think the professional version should handle this situation.

After I backup that partition to 1 image, I want to restore it back to let's say another set of new SSD drives. That should be no problem with the professional version?

4. buser

buser Registered Member

And also tryin to understand what you pointed out earlier.

Let's say I have windows 7 64-bit installed on a basic volume sitting on a single SSD. Are you saying HDM professional version can move that basic volume to a dynamic raid spanning multiple (like 5) SSD before booting into the OS? :D

5. Mech_An

It's not possible :)

6. Mech_An

Backup of Dynamic drive could be restored to the original location saving the RAIDed configuration or to another drive as Simple Dynamic volumes (non RAIDed). The reason is: software RAIDs are very sensitive to any changes in partitioning.

7. buser

buser Registered Member

Ok I bought HDM 2011 prof. I am now slowly trying different scenarios. You are right the boot disk cannot exist on multiple dynamic disks. So don't have to worry about backing up that scenario, cause windows 7 would not let you set it up that way to begin with. :D

Backing up a single bootdisk SSD to multiple DVD, and then restoring it was cakewalk. I got it to backup restore no problem. And that's restoring to a separate SSD of the same size.

It seems that HDM can read and write to already-made dynamic partitions using the bootdisk. But HDM cannot alter or modify dynamic partitions at all.

8. Mech_An

Yes, all partitioning operations are not available for Dynamic volumes.

9. buser

buser Registered Member

Well if the dynamic partitions are already defined in windows, I can restore to it. This restore scenario worked for me. I just tried it using the winPE bootdisk.

Backup
    1 x 128GB SSD c-drive basic volume
    1 x 256GB SSD d-drive basic volume

Restore
    1 x 128GB SSD c-drive basic volume (another SSD)
    2 x 128GB SSD d-drive dynamic stripe volume (2 x another SSD)

So you can write to a dynamic volume.

10. buser

buser Registered Member

http://www.paragon-software.com/business/hdm-server/comparison.html

So at the comparison site for Dynamic volume, it saids it can "Drive partitioning and disaster recovery operations for MS dynamic volumes"

You can write to a dynamic partition, but not actually use the same winPE disk to alter that dynamic partition. Is it safe to say that I will need a separate product Partition manager, to really modify dynamic partitions before restoring with HDM?

11. buser

buser Registered Member

Like before I boot into the OS, I want to boot off some kind of winPE type disk that can create dynamic stripe, raid, mirror all the fancy types of partitions with SSD. Will Partition manager be able to create such a disk?

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't think many, if any, imaging apps. will support that kind of thing in software raid.

13. Mech_An

It appears to be a bug in description. Option to move\resize\create\delete Dynamic volumes is not available in HDM and Partition Manager too.

14. buser

buser Registered Member

Is it possible for the most expensive HDM virtual server version to reshape dynamic partitions at the winPE bootdisk level?

My newbie run with HDM11 has been IMHO the most successful backup restore effort ever. Now I djust need dynamic partition reshaping to make it that much sweeter. :D

15. Mech_An

Unfortunately, none of the Paragon products include Dynamic drives partitioning options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.