Hard Disk Manager - Scheduling questions...

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Moshe Cohen, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshe Cohen

Moshe Cohen Registered Member

Hi,

I am new to Paragon... tried Acronis and ran away, tried Macrium - love its UI but have some concerns about its reliability... Now evaluating Paragon Hard Disk Manager... Seems to be the best feature-wise, although the UI and the doc (not only language) aren't where they could be... Still, I want to find a way to make Paragon work...

Questions about scheduling tasks...

1. If I schedule two tasks, and the first one doesn't finish by the time the second is supposed to start... will it be queued or will Paragon try to run them simultaneously? The reason for the question is that I am trying to setup a full disk backup on a monthly basis, say every 1st, and a diff weekly, say Friday... what happens is there is a clash and the full backup is not over by the time the diff needs to start?

2. When I schedule a backup, select a source, say the MBR and a its drive, define everything, schedule it, that the script is called "Backup of 2 objects"... How do I set this name (or edit it) to something more meaningful?

3. I just formatted a 1TB drive, assigned a drive letter, created a backup capsule, then tried to use it as a destination for backup. But I don't even get the option to choose it as a destination for the backup... Any suggestion?

4. How can I automate the creation of a full backup, followed with differential backups, and "smart" cleanup after the backup is over? For example, if the verification goes well, it deletes the oldest full backup (and its associated differentials or incrementals)? it may sound "crazy", but if you think about it, it is actually quiet simple and reasonable... Macrium has a generalized scheme that allows you to do just that for example... Any way to do this with Paragon? If not, any other suggestions to achieve a similar effect?

I realize that I am asking some basic questions... sorry... and Many Thanks!!!

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Moshe Cohen,

1. Best way to schedule 2 jobs back to back is first try to anticipate how long the full back may take. Generally we see a speed of 1GB per min from internal to internal hard drives and 1Gb per 1-2mins for internal to external hard drives. Another way would is to queue both jobs into one scheduled task. Which means after completing the first wizard, select "backup now" and do not hit Apply. Proceed to the next wizard, also selecting "backup now" and then go to "Changes" "Save to Scheduler" to create one schedule task with both jobs.

2. The Task job's name is predetermined, but you can have additional comments added during the wizard.

3. After creating the backup capsule, restart the program, and during the wizard, instead of selecting "save data to local/network drives" there should be an option to save to backup capsule.

4. To have any routinely backup run and overwrite itself, uncheck the box "generate unique names" during the wizard.

3. Waschbaer

Waschbaer Registered Member

Hi Moshe Cohen,

I had the same problem with the "Backup of x Objects" comment, this is a worthless comment.
    The Backup SW asks for a comment, but doesn't store that comment inside the scheduling task for the windows task scheduler.
    You are able to edit the scheduled tasks in Windows under (in German): Computerverwaltung/Aufgabenplanungsbiliothek).

In the first tab of a task-item there is a comment window, you can edit the text there, this text will be displayed from the Paragon Software.

It would be fine, if the Backup SW would store the user comment into the Windows-Task-Comment field and not that meaningless "Backup of x Object" statement.

By the way, the Paragon SW does not store the scheduling data by itself, the information is stored inside windows and will be displayed out of that data structures. So you are able to change the scheduling data inside the Windows service!

Hope that helps,

Waschbaer.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.