Hard disk failure recovery - This is how you do it

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This is how we do it do it. Here's a short but useful article about an actual operating system hard disk corruption and a quick, effective method of recovery, including up-to-date backups, system imaging, partitioning from a Linux live session, bootloader setup, filesystem checks, other tips and tricks, and more. Less than one hour downtime, read on.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/hard-disk-failure-recovery.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

The key thing I wish everyone would take away from that is this,
    . And at least one should be "off-site". One backup saved in the same physical location of the computer is not a robust backup plan. Many people regularly backup to an external drive, and that's good. But then they leave it on their computer desk. That's not good - especially if their only backup.

If a fire, flood, hurricane, or tornado destroys your home, you lose your only backup too. I know of such cases. I also know of a case where a burglar broke into a home and stole the computer and the external drive sitting next to the monitor that contained their only backups.

Keep a backup in "the cloud", at a trusted friend's or neighbor's house, or in a safe deposit box at your bank - or at all 3 places. Don't rely on a single backup device in a single location.

All drives will fail - eventually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.