Hard Disk Block

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FrozeNn, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

Just reformmated my PC and had large file transfers over to it.

Realised there is a slow startup at the welcome screen and things like Kaspersky, Ewido, MSN etc takes quite long to load ~2mins.

Went under Event Viewer and found these stuffs during every startup.

Event 26: The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

Event 7: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block. (i found 3 of these everytime during startup)

Knew something was wrong with Hard Disk but i couldnt figure out what was the driver that has outdated firmware(maybe, you guys know).

Im using ST360020A SeaGate Harddisk 60GB. Went to the website and ran the diagnostic tool (that one that require bootable floppy at startup).
    And indeed, found out that both my drives(i have 2 paritions) were corrupted.
    Here's the log of the Diagnostic Test. (its cut short)
    However, the sad thing was the tool doesnt fix the problem and asked me to run chkdsk defrag and stuffs instead. Ran them and dont see much improvements.

So, my question is what can I do to remove these bad blocks or possibly recover em using SeaGate tools (if they exist).

Many Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi, I agree with Nadirah.

I did not look at the link to which he referred but be sure to use "/f" at the end of your chkdsk command. if not, the system will only check the disk, but it will not "fix" it.

something like:

run > CMD

c:\documents and settings...\ > CD\

c:\ > CHKDSK /F

...cannot be locked....want to check when windows restarts? c:\ > Y

...it will be done!... c:\ > EXIT

then reboot.

Just thought it might save you some time if you just needed to see the format of the chkdsk command. if you are not at the root directory or not on the same partition you can include it like

c:\ > CHKDSK D: /F

No luck with the bootable floppies? I've had bad luck with them too. there's a possiblility that you might need to use the special repair tools...maybe from a bootable CD...good luck

-HandsOff

4. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

Alright Ill see how. Ran chkdsk -r already. System still slows at startup welcome screen, but event log is clean.

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

if you ran chkdsk /r did it say it detected problems, like AND fixed anything. Obviously if it does not fix anything the problem is still there.

BTW did seagate specify /r over /f? /f is much faster, hence more practical to use on a regular basis. Most drives do not need the surface scan, but if you have the time /r couldn't hurt.

What I found (with my Maxtor drive) was that a normal format did not fix the drive what was needed was a partial low level format, which is Much more thorough. Hopefully Seagate can provide the software to do it. Lots of programs - and some viruses - write to parts of the drive that aren't effected by a regular format. It would be nice if it were easier to do this type of reformatting.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.