hard copy vs online download

Discussion in 'polls' started by Siamese Dream, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which type of software is more secure...

1. hard copy

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. online download

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. about equal

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. depends

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream Registered Member

Please explain. Much appreciated. (Although doesn't the hard copy require online updates?)

Note: I do realize (somewhat) as a novice that my poll may be completely stupid. It was geared towards my lack of experience as well as what one poster said a long time ago about how they preferred a physical copy for protection. I may have interpreted what they meant incorrectly, but I'm still wondering if there is any reason to believe a physical copy allows some type of extra "wall" that will protect the user that an online download could not by its nature by being a portal.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

What are we talking about here? Data backup? Online or local backup? I admit that I don't understand the question...

3. Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream Registered Member

Your basic stuff like AV, firewall, anti-malware, etc.

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I have installers stored on my disk (I even keep older versions of some programs) just in case. When installing software I usually download latest version if I have internet access.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Never had any problems with online download...;)

6. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, if you're talking about accessing the software, I suppose it's not out of the question that a hard copy could be considered slightly more secure. It would be possible to download a rogue or malware-infected app, for instance, although if it's something really important it may have hashes (MD5, SHA-1, etc.) that could be checked on your end.

On the other hand, a hard copy could contain malware if it's not from a trusted channel. For example, I would never buy a copy of Windows from eBay or the like because counterfeits can be very hard to spot. BTW, a while back there was a commercial DVD of the Powerpuff Girls that was recalled because it had the "FunLove" virus on it. (This wouldn't have affected a standalone DVD player, but rather a PC accessing the DVD-ROM stuff.)

Personally I wouldn't worry about this and would opt for the digital download, especially if the hard copy is more expensive and not up to date. Once it's installed, it's just another app on your system and is vulnerable no matter how you acquired it.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Online Download of course. :thumb:

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Which type of software is more secure...
    I am assuming hard copy means buying it in a store or having mailed to you. There really is no difference between downloading or getting "hard copy".

I voted "depends" because it depends on were you get it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If it's games i prefer having the hard copy, i use Steam and everytime i format my PC i have to download over 30GB of games . . . :blink: o_O Hahahahahahaha

If it's general software which can be downloaded in a couple minutes i usually prefer online delivery.

10. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Secure? ..secure from what?
    theft?
    unauthorized changes?

11. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Hmm. Now that you mention it and one reason I don't do mail order. Things tend to disappear on the local post.

12. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Although I've never tried it, on the Steam client you have the back-up & restore function.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Really? I'm kinda new to Steam, i just started using it like a year ago but i only purchased Left 4 Dead 2 and recently GTA IV and Dead Space 2. (They were on discoung, GTA IV was like 5 bucks for both GTA IV + Expansion) :D
    Currently i don't have it installed because i got bored of the games for now and i have to dedicate time to other more important things. :D

14. encus

encus Registered Member

Online download.

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Depends on how reliable the server(s) of the online download is, and how secure the hard copy is (backups included).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.