Hangs during write: is there a limit to the # of files?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by jcharvat, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcharvat

jcharvat Registered Member

I successfully installed the NTFS driver V10.0.1 (eval mode for now) and started a copy of my iPhoto library (115 GB, ca. 50'000 files) to an external USB disk. All worked well and ran quickly (ca. 20MB/sec) until about 1/3 of the way through. Then the system just hung with the error message "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more memory available for application memory" (see screen shot). The system disk is a 750GB drive with over 250GB free.
    The system was frozen at this point, so I had to force a shutdown. Upon restart, Disk Utility found nothing wrong with the disk.
    So why did this happen? Is there a limit to how many files I can copy at once? Is there a way I can get this copy done?
    Thanks,
    Jan
    P.S. Before you ask: YES, I am using Time Machine, but it has its limits and issues, so I create occasional snapshots of my iTunes and iPhoto libraries.

Attached Files:

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

I don't believe there is a file limit, have you attempted to move smaller amounts and does it fail? The Screenshot error you provided, does not generally reference any paragon error that I know of. I would recommend using Google or yahoo to reference that Mac based error that is occurring, it could be something having to do with Paragon, but I am unfamiliar with it. From what I read from that it sounds like too many applications are running at once. Not that you are actually out of space on the drive.

3. jcharvat

jcharvat Registered Member

Hi Matt,
    I just deleted my response to your questions, because after more testing, I believe the problem lies somewhere else, not with NFTS for Mac. For example, it could be an issue with corrupt directory entries on the USB disk, etc. After more tests, I found that NTFS for Mac runs really well and the problems I was seeing I reproduced when running from a Windows 7 VM on my Mac, as well.
    I also successfully tested with large files (single file of about 420MB).
    Thank you again for your quick response and help--I need to dig deeper but elsewhere!
    Great product--I just upgraded from trial to a purchased copy!!
    Jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.