Half-successful back up -

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by eniqmah, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hi all,
    I was wondering if any one could please figure this out for me. My back up was able to validate and restore wonderfully as follows:
    TrueImage latest version. 9.0.3677
    Imaged Partition C to Partiion D on main HDD1.

Image validated and restored nicely. So far so good.

Then I copy the image to my external 2.5" HDD. Image failed validation. Attempted to boot from Acronis Restore CD to validated image on 2.5" HDD. Validation failed.
    From Acronis Restore CD, I tried to restore using the image from 2.5", restoration failed.

From Acronis Restore CD, I tried to restore using the image from D partition on main HDD1", restoration successful.
    Copied image from 2.5" to D partition on main HDD, image validated and restored fine.

This seems to show that the back up process creates a good image. But the image can not be transfered to a 2.5" external drive.
    But why not?
    Because if not, then my backup regiment is not efficient. I need space on my main HDD1 to store my data. The back up image is meant to be kept on the external. The image is 30GB in size, I can't afford to keep it on my main HDD.

Can some one with more knowledge of this matter please help me out? I would like very much to rely on Acronis for my laptop backups because Acronis hasn't failed me on my desktop. :(
    Thanks in advance for your assistance folks.

PS. this is the information for the HDDs
    [ SAMSUNG HM120JC USB Device ]

Device Properties:
    Driver Description SAMSUNG HM120JC USB Device
    Driver Date 7/1/2001
    Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
    Driver Provider Microsoft
    INF File disk.inf

Device Manufacturer:
    Company Name Samsung
    Product Information http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm

[ ST9120821AS ] < MAIN

Device Properties:
    Driver Description ST9120821AS
    Driver Date 7/1/2001
    Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
    Driver Provider Microsoft
    INF File disk.inf

Device Manufacturer:
    Company Name Seagate Technology LLC
    Product Information http://www.seagate.com/products

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Is your external drive formatted FAT? If so the file size limit is 4GB. Is your image size greater than 4GB? If you image directly to the 2.5" drive what happens?

3. eniqmah

Ooh, I never thought about that.

It fails when I image directly to the external.
    It is NTFS though.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I would try setting TI to split the image into much smaller files, regardless of the file system on the external HD.

5. eniqmah

I should add that this is one of those external 2.5" HDD's that have a USB cable supplying the power. That is to say, the power is supplied by a USB cable that, at one end, connects to the drive, and at the other end, has 2 USB prongs. One for power, one for data transfer I believe. Although, for normal operation, I've only had to use 1 such USb prong to be able to power and transfer data. I've tested it with both prongs as well with the same results.

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Better use them both, you may overload the port if you connect only one.

To clarify my previous post: I have read on this forum that some chipsets choke on large files. That may be what's happening to you.

7. eniqmah

Thanks for the reply bVolk.
    Does it help to know that the image was created in the 4 GB chunks for DVD burning?
    I'll definitely try again today using the CD sized chunks. Ill update any results.

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

There would be probably some other reason for you issue then. 4 GB should be small enough in my opinion.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello eniqmah,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I would recommend that you download this free checksum utility. Use Windows Explorer to copy the successfully created image archive on the local hard drive to the external hard drive and calculate a MD5 checksum for it.

- Unpack and run the application and click on the ellipsis sign to browse and select the installation package you downloaded;

- Click the "Start" button;

Then compare this MD5 sum with the MD5 sum of the original image archive (the one on the local hard drive). The two checksums should be the same. If not you can try to use another USB cable. Please also update the drivers for you USB hard drive to the most recent.

Please try to create the image both when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media and when Acronis True Image is running in Windows, if you have not done that before.

Please also create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post when your external hard drive plugged in. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.