Hackers Find a New Place to Hide Rootkits

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Thankful, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting read.

Thanks for the article.

Short of full hardware stealth i wouldn't be a bit surprised if still more hiding places are possible.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This is one case where I wonder about the benefits of a full-disclosure policy. I grew up in the Cold War, when learning (through espionage or however) that something was in fact possible was 3/4 of the job of learning how to do it yourself.

4. kencat

kencat Registered Member

What am I missing hereo_O?

Title: Hackers Find a New Place to Hide Rootkits

1st paragraph: Security researchers have developed a new type of malicious rootkit software that hides itself in an obscure part of a computer's microprocessor, hidden from current antivirus products.

Security researchers are hackers? They freaking might as well be, by creating the malware, telling about it and showing it, and most likely letting it slip out into the wild.

Oh wait, I get it, to legitimize themselves, the hackers just have to call themselves "security researchers", and all is well. We don't have to worry about shady characters from the dark side, they all work on the light side now. I feel safer already.NOT.

Just had to rant, this article p......d me off.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sure, why not? ;) A hacker could have good or bad intentions. I don't know about modern day terminology, but the bad guys were/are usually refered to as "crackers". Here is a definition of Hacker.

6. kencat

kencat Registered Member

Well, I stand corrected and enlightened.....I think o_O

One should learn something new everyday, so that goal is accomplished. Thanks for the link Wat0114.

Thinking about it more, I suppose there isn't much difference with the research going on in all forms of science and technology. A new deadly strain of a virus (biological) could be used for bad ends if it got released into the wrong hands, and certainly there are many ethical debates about whether many forms of research should even be allowed. To drive it (any research) deeper underground could have worse consequences.

I'm just really disappointed that there doesn't appear to be any end in sight to the endless security battle. Is there much hope for ever achieving a truly private and secure existence on this internet ?

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Private no because ISPs have your ip address and log your traffic, though there are anonymizing proxies that can mask your surfing habits. Truly secure, not a snowball's chance in Hades by the looks of things. It's not, however, that bad as long as security basics are followed and common sense is used in choosing websites to visit and opening email. Our family's computers have not seen malware in years, and we are not running tons of security apps, either.

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Exactly. :D Many bad guys working for the safety of your system. :D :D :D :D :D
    But not the assumed bad guys are the problem only the real evil bad guys. :)

You plug in your internet cable and you are immediately connected to everything.. probably
    you need a damn good filter.

So first blue pill came out.. everyone switched to Intel.. then came smm rootkit... everyone steps back to Amd? :)
    Double bind.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.