Hacked email?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JerryM, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Recently I have received emails from persons who did not send them. Tonight my son told me a couple of people had told him of emails that he did not send.

Would changing the password prevent that from further happenings? It would be a pain to stop using the primary email, and set up a new one.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. x942

x942 Guest

Short answer: Maybe; Change the password and secret question answer.

Long Answer:
    E-mail address can be spoofed. This means even though it says the e-mail was sent by an address (IE mail@domain.com) it wasn't. Spammers do this allot with e-mails they have harvested. Since it is people you know that are receiving the e-mails from the accounts than you should change the password, secret answer, and other recovery information to be safe. Also scan the system where the account is used and make sure you use SSL when outside of your own network. After the change if it still happens then it is a spoofed address and the only way to stop it is to change your e-mail. To lighten the burden you could always setup a new account and tell the old one to forward emails to it.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, X942.
    That makes sense, and he will go in that direction.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.