Guide to reasonable privacy on Android

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

All your Web are belong to us. Or does it? Here's a long, detailed guide on how to configure Android for maximum privacy and minimal impact on functionality, including initial phone setup, new account, web, application and location history, app permissions, special app access, connected devices and sensors, security, account settings and personalization - ads, app preview, assistant, search and other options, default applications, browser usage instead of apps, individual app tweaks and settings, other configurations, and more. Take a look.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/android-privacy-guide.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Thanks, useful and sane.

I'm afraid I remain in the no-thank-you camp, partly because of the 4+ hours configuration business, but also because, as you say, you have to trust the things. I do not and I can get along without. But most people will accept the convenience and sell their souls for little return really.

My preference is for a mifi and wireless hotspot approach, because I'm more comfortable with securing attached systems. I use a dumb phone for talking to people.

3. plat

plat Registered Member

I sit on the NYC subway almost every day and almost everyone's heads and eyeballs are buried in their cell phones. I wonder how many would take a minute to read even some of the above guide and actually apply a couple of principles? I attribute my glaring absence of spam and robo calls to my trusty dumb flip phone, which, get this: I use to call and talk to real people and it ain't synced to nothing. Is that crazy or what?

4. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Not crazy at all. Have the same old dumb flip phone and love it.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. With my own outdated handset that drops comfortably in any pants pocket and less size than a pack of cigs, I get no spam, no robo, with the brief exception this past summer of some nonsense that my vehicle warranty was about to expire. Never owned a vehicle warranty in my life-strictly thrifty camp here. They gave up and stopped sending after refusing to answer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.