Grub 1.99> for those multi booting

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Having replaced my Lucid on sda with a remastersys backup of Kubuntu 12.04 on sdb, I discovered that the commands to be entered in /etc/grub.d/40_custom have changed somewhat. For instance the cat << EOF before the menuentry and the EOF after the } are not to be used. Also I use exec tail -n +4 $0 instead of +3. I don't know if this makes a difference but I suppose it may have something to do with the Previous versions entry.

For my triple boot setup I have the following entries that work very nicely. (The reason why I have the menuentry Kubuntu 12.04 is that I have not yet got around to replacing that OS on sdb with some other OS - probably Kubuntu 12.10 to see what has changed)

What is highlighted in red must be changed to suit your setup.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "Adding 40_custom menu entries" >&2
    exec tail -n +4 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "[COLOR="Red"]Kubuntu 12.04 Symlink Boot[/COLOR]" {
            linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=[COLOR="Red"]10b378dc-f796-429e-8d00-f54da50649d7[/COLOR] ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
         initrd /initrd.img
    }

menuentry "[COLOR="Red"]Scientific linux 6.3 Chainload Boot[/COLOR]" {
        set root=([COLOR="Red"]hd1,5[/COLOR])
        chainloader +1    
    }
    Use sudo blkid to find the UUID as per the first entry.

This also works well:-

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "Adding 40_custom menu entries" >&2
    exec tail -n +4 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "[COLOR="Red"]Kubuntu 12.04[/COLOR]" {
      set root=([COLOR="Red"]hd1,1[/COLOR])
         linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/[COLOR="Red"]sdb1 [/COLOR]ro quiet splash
         initrd /initrd.img
    }

menuentry "[COLOR="red"]Scientific linux 6.3[/COLOR]" {
        set root=([COLOR="red"]hd1,5[/COLOR])
        chainloader +1    
    }

Obviously I have added GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true in /etc/default/grub under GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Note:- If you include the cat << EOF and EOF lines, you will get syntax errors when running update-grub and a grub.cfg.new file will be created. Booting the various OS will still work, but I venture to say that one will have problems when a kernel update comes along.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.