Grrrr - Xbox - P*****g me off !!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shenga, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shenga

shenga Registered Member

I am streaming to the 360 using Windows Media Player

"Allow UPND in the Trusted Zone" is checked under "IDS and advanced options"
    wmplayer.exe is set to allow both "Trusted Zone in and Out" yet every time I want to connect, I have to turn the Firewall off first !! What the heck is going on, what am I missing ? This is driving me nuts.

"Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" is also set to allow both "Trusted Zone in and Out"

Any help much appreciated

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What appears in the firewall log if you enable logging all blocked connections in the IDS section of the firewall setup and try to stream to xbox?

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

See if it is not the same rule that is blocking Remote Control of WMP 12 under win 7.
    There is a hardwired rule in the Firewall that Says "Block Outgoing ICSLAP requests" (or something, I use Spanish Here...) Uncheck that rule and restart.
    You should now be able to see WMP and Stream to it from your XBOX.

4. shenga

shenga Registered Member

@MasterTB - Thanks, I gave that a try but no go. As always, I see my PC on the Xbox but I cannot connect until I first deactivate the firewall. Once the film I am streaming is being watched, I can activate the Firewall once again.

@Marcus - I just logged the Firewall and made a couple of attempts to connect. See attached file.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Marcos

What mode did you have the firewall in when the log was created? Does disabling the "Block unsafe address after attack detection" in the IDS section of the fw setup make a difference?

6. shenga

shenga Registered Member

Hi Marcus

"Block unsafe address after attack detection" was already disabled and the Firewall was in "Interactive Filtering Mode" when creating the log.

7. shenga

shenga Registered Member

BTW Marcus,

192.168.178.29 is the Xbox in my network as shown in the log file........if that helps any

8. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Try this:
    In the Zones Editor, add the Xbox's IP to the list of addresses excluded from IDS Resident Protection.

Maybe that will work.

9. Marcos

Do you have the "Allow incoming streams from the Internet via the IGMP protocol" option enabled in the IDS setup?

10. shenga

shenga Registered Member

Morning Master TB
    Morning Marcus

Tried both of your suggestions and still have to disable the firewall in order to connect to my shared media - phew -

I am really at a loss

11. Marcos

Could you post the current fw log from the moment you attempted to replicate the problem? (with logging blocked connections enabled in the IDS setup)

12. rjw57

rjw57 Registered Member

I checked "allow UPNP in the trusted zone" and all is fine.

13. shenga

shenga Registered Member

Hi Marcus,

Funny thing was, I could connect to xbox this time, see the file I wanted to play but that's as far as I got.

In order to watch the movie, I had to disable the FW.

Merry Xmas to all

Attached Files:

14. shenga

shenga Registered Member

Marcos,

I have been playing around with it a bit more and I have a question.

When logging the FW and trying to connect to the Xbox, it seems that the problem event is always "Packet blocked by active defense (IDS)"

Now my question. Source address is always the IP address of my laptop and that shows as such, but the target IP is always different and not the IP of my Xbox ! I have the IP of my Xbox set in both a) the trusted zone and b) addresses excluded from active protection (IDS)

Is there something else going on here ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.