GreenBorder

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Meriadoc, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Sometime ago I asked the nice people at greenborder.com if there would ever be a home version of their file protection system and was told that the software would stay in the office environment. Until now - GreenBorderPro.
    Everything within the 'greenboarder' is safe from internet and other activities. Take a look at greenborder. http://www.greenborder.com/ I'm currently using an early release and very much like it, try it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. Meriadoc

Re: GreenBoarder

This software is nice...the 'Shop and Bank in Privacy Zone' is very appealing. Web site and support is excellent! Had a slight problem (my side) with a puter on the home network, and put in a ticket, within minuets I was in a comprehensive remote (gotomeeting) session with a tech. Excellent support. All this and no money spent. 30 day-1 year trial I believe. Heads up, check it out.

Block theft of private information
    Protect against hijacking
    'drive-by' downloads, malware

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Re: GreenBoarder

Does it work in a virtual machine? So far I´m not having any luck. It did install OK, but when I click on "search/browse the internet", nothing happens. I´m very interested to see if they have implemented it in a way that I like it. So far BufferZone, DefenseWall, GeSWall and Sandboxie are not good enough for day to day usage. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  4. Meriadoc

'Does it work in a virtual machine?'

...normally, I would be able to answer that but my machine is in pieces, so GB was installed here on some family puters, and I have not had some answers for things as yet, which is okay 'cos I've been going through something else with them.

'I´m very interested to see if they have implemented it in a way that I like it.'

...(I presume you have watched the flash and how-to and been all over their site.) I'm interested to know what you like, - I b/tested BZ and DW, - 'are not good enough' ?

Topic
    ...Spelling 0/10:oops:

If the topic needs moving can the mods move it please.:)

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Done. :)

I also corrected the spelling to the title of the thread. ;) :D

snowbound

6. Rasheed187

Yeah I did read the helpfile (and watched the demo) but I still have to test it myself of course. With "not good enough" I mean certain things, like GUI, resource usage, features. But I really think virtualization/sandboxing is the future, in theory it´s even better than running in "non-admin mode", so I hope these apps will improve a lot. ;)

7. Meriadoc

...relaxed the security, privacy and advanced tabs but I'll give it a going over tomorrow on my machine with some tools and sites.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/4452/greenborder1nx.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2006
  8. Meriadoc

Got a few vms going now testing some stuff and looking into conflict (cant wait for gb lab.:))

At first look there maybe a problem using this program...
    'SpywareDoctor' - and I'm in no way saying anything is wrong with this program - gb isnt liking something, the driver maybe, how the protection is working, SD and DNS. I dont know the program Spyware Doctor only that there is one, its on my sons machine so I'm looking at what it does and how that is achieved now.

edit : Greenborder requires the DNS Client to be running.

DCOM Server Process Launcher has to be running.<<is this your problem Rasheed187
    I got a bit to do then later on today I will try out the effectiveness of gb.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Tryed to install GB Pro to look how good/bad it is. Failed because my hard drives are FAT32 (it's requires NTFS). Also, according it's CEO's post they have problems with third-part software compatibility. According it's investor's report they are working under this technologie since 2001 ! Just type "greenborder" within Google's search request field and have fun!

My personal conclusion- bad initial architecture (need of NTFS, low compatibility).

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I read that the download was just for Windows 2000o_O

11. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

Nope. Runs on Windows XP home/pro and 2000.

12. Meriadoc

Yes only supports NTFS and yes a lot of software compatibility problems. I have some feedback for gb.

GB claim PC safe while using IE, Outlook and new programs launch, while browsing, these launch with 'green border' also. Confirmed, gb uses a temp area, gb does not allow program inside gb to reach your files, file changes inside gb erased on gb close or 'clean/reset' gb.
    Trying Firefox.
    Tested dskeylogger, recieved a tray alert for suspected activity but nothing for screen.
    Tested some crappy spyware infested sites and got a latest download of sspyware nagging me to buy to remove infections, pop-ups to fake anti-spyware review. - Used clean and reset greenborder, looking fine but will carry on tomorrow now.

13. Meriadoc

Tried out some really smart attackware sites now, no problems with machine just some with the program not starting/working as expected and nothing that affected protection in session. Will now try to beat gb.
    Firefox has protection.
    No encryption. Would like to see expansion.
    If you want to save something while browsing, save/update plug-in you can do it within gb or click icon and run browser unprotected.
    Windows update site runs unprotected.

Like the idea, very easy to use and understand for family, novice. Privacy zone protects your private information. With auto cleaning of greenborder first of anything malicious a new ie window with different colour border starts up on an advice page about banking and online activities, and a see through reminder box above tray to end privacy zone. You then view sites where you might view/reveal personal information with the idea of erasing all traces afterwards by selecting 'End Privacy Zone.'

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7185/gborder8fj.th.jpg

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9864/gbpz4um.th.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  14. Rasheed187

@ Meriadoc

I have both the DNS Client and DCOM service running on my machine so that can´t be the problem, but since you did manage to install it on a virtual machine, it must be something else, I will try again, and thanks for the feedback. ;)

15. Rasheed187

I have tried to install GB again and still no luck, I really don´t know what´s causing it, so for the moment no GB for me. :rolleyes:

16. Meriadoc

GreenBorderPro release version available. GB.com will give a free 1 year licence to the first 10.000 downloads - download.com.

17. marcus chung

marcus chung Registered Member

Rasheed187,

If you would like some assistance troubleshooting the installation on your pc, please submit a support ticket at our website.

http://www.greenborder.com/support/consumer.php which will direct you to our online support system. Then select "Report a Problem".

I would look forward to your feedback. :)

Best wishes,
    -Marcus

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I could install GreenBorder, but it gave me nothing but a demo movie and a .pdf-file to tell me how good GreenBorder is (in theory).
    Maybe Greenborder doesn't like FirstDefense-ISR. :)

EDIT:
    OK. The problem was that my "DNS Client Service" was disabled and GreenBorder runs now on my pc.
    I was also forced to uninstall Hostsman due to enabling the "DNS Client Service".

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  19. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Doesn't appear to be compatible with NOD32. Tested on a live pc and in a clean VM; nod32kui.exe hangs and never fully initializes while chewing up cpu cycles. Submitted ticket to support.

Looks like it'll be a nice product once the issues are straightened out and it supports more browsers.

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I uninstalled Greenborder, using the superior industrial snapshot technology of FirstDefense-ISR. :)
    GreenBorder caused a very slow boot.
    GreenBorder and NOD32 don't go together (NOD32 shield disappeared).
    I pinned GreenBorder on my green board as a possible for the future. :)

21. Meriadoc

My conclusions ...

A nice software for experienced and novice. Easy to install and use.
    No slow down on any of my machines. Not as greedy as some, with resources.
    Not intrusive with popups.
    Makes browsing, (ie) Outlook safer with virtualization/sandbox technology that protects you from malicious web sites and files.
    A compliment to antivirus.
    Third party software compatibility problems! 10,000 free downloads is a good test base:)
    In some ways does not protect the user from themselves, the weakest link. Some expansion into this would help.

Will eventually come into competition with Microsofts ie sandbox.

Cost. Around $50 I think EVERY year + 14.95 per year for file protection!:ouch: :D
    There are software that does the same job for a fraction of the price. You can also achieve it for free.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  22. controler

controler Guest

My install shows a problem accessing GRPCONV.EXE even though I am logged on as a user with ADMIN access.

controler

23. Meriadoc

A response from Greenborder concerning program updates/fix :

'...we are about to release an update version of Greenborder Pro. It should be available by Saturday via download.com. You can simply install the new version on top of the current one...'

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  24. Meriadoc

Yes but, are there specific versions relating to your security now?
    Couldn't find any more information unless my fault and have something turned off, anyway this is what I think the pic is saying.

http://www.greenborder.com/ also seems someone called Merdiadoc http://www.greenborder.com/consumer/testimonials.php has an opinion.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.