Great Big Software Review

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Agnitum Outpost Pro beta 7 is without question the best firewall software we have ever encountered” — our highlight conclusion.
    Over the past two weeks we’ve been installing, running and uninstalling like mad. We wanted to update our experience with previously reviewed programs and add a couple to the mix.

Here’s the list alphabetically, with our conclusions:

More Info: SSO Review

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thx hayc59

I am not shooting the messenger, just burning the message.

When I read this post they disclasssified OA as a waste of time in the same category as Ashampoo firewall, I browsed through some other posts. In their security best practises they advised to use a safer browser such as Firefox o_O . For me that is not an endorsement of their knowledge.

So to put it in their words: SSO review is a waste of time

3. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I also agree..OA is a great firewall
    its amazing they gave Comodo[they must not know thier past!!]
    such good praise!!

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

WTF! OA a waste of time? lol

5. sded

sded Registered Member

I wonder if they only looked at OA free? I don't think the Advanced HIPS options and the Firewall Endpoint Restrictions tabs that control the IP part of port/IP firewall rule making are in that version (Standard Mode). But the preconfigured settings even for the Free version seem to score very well whenever they are actually evaluated.

6. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Ha! Ha!

I havent gotten to that one yet. Im trying Outpost 7, now.

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I have to wonder if they know what Online Armor is? To dismiss it as a waste of time tells me their whole review is a waste of time...SHEESH...:rolleyes: :blink: :)

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

The fact that they like our GUI speaks volumes :ninja: :D

Seriously - to be criticised for being too easy to use is somewhat of an acheivement, and they probably didnt investigate the things like not auto trusting apps, prompts for internet, etc, etc.

I'm not overly fussed by it. We just had a chat in here - we get told sometimes our software is too hard, and now it's too easy. I'll take easy over hard any day.

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I was going to contact the author but hey...no e-mail addie
    to stop by and say hello and respond but..not worth a phone call

10. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I went to the link when this was first posted. As soon as I saw Online Armor waste of time, I quickly left the site. The people over there don't really understand security software.

Ice

11. sded

sded Registered Member

Very strange website, especially with no contact information. I have heard good thing about Outpost, but actually have never tried it. After a dozen or so firewalls, I stopped at OA.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

They must have only looked at OA in basic mode. I copied this from the article. The article states the following, "There is no ability to control these programs beyond the absolute basic of allowing applications or not. In the case of Online Armor, even that ability is extremely restrictive". I can't believe this article is making the above statement lol I'm not even going to try to explain the amount of control you have over each application. I believe they need to look at the paid version, and look at it in advance mode. They need to look through all the tabs, and subtabs under application rules.

To Mike Nash. There is no such thing as too Simply! OA is definitely the best firewall i have ever used! I can't wait for it to be 64 bit compatible!

To the makers of Outpost keep up the good work. You have a great firewall, and i'm running Outpost V 6.7.3 on several 64 bit machines with no complaint here. Outpost is Definitely one of the best firewalls i have ever used. Outpost does give a great deal of control to more knowledgeable users. Outpost also has great logging.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  13. Cutting_Edgetech

Sded if you want to contact them then you can contact them at the link below. There contact info is on their homepage. Look at the top tabs under contact info http://securesurfing.net/contact

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Thanks. paid users have limited 64-bit support now BTW.

O/T slightly - please tell me that you don't really have everything in your sig running realtime...

15. Cutting_Edgetech

No, I don't have all of my SIG running real time Lol. My machines are running lite, and problem free. I don't want my security Apps fighting one another. All of my machines are running in a virtual environment so i feel pretty safe. I just want to see a good company do well. The public at large only know names like Norton or McAfee. They just don't know that's not always their best option. They need to be Educated.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Why would they look at the paid version in a review of free firewalls?

- Stem

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Why not?
    They reviewed ( better yet, advertised :p ) Outpost Pro 7...

Panagiotis

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Well I read the review, twice in fact, as I found it somewhat contradictory.
    It gave me a laugh if nothing else.

- Stem

19. arran

arran Registered Member

In my opinion Out Post has a "WEAK" Hips anyway. I tested it once against a few old POC's. Out Post can easily be terminated and disabled.

20. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The review was not looking at HIPS functions.

From what I read it appeared they where checking various options for application/protocol filtering within the firewalls (although they only mentioned remote IP restrictions).
    With the statement made:-
    I presume they are referring to Vista/Win7 firewall that does give options to filter the various protocols, the last time I looked at OA, it was based on filtering of TCP/UDP/ICMP only. I dont know if that has changed.

- Stem

21. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Now that's something... is OA "Free" really a waste of time? :<

22. gery

gery Registered Member

lol
    that made me lough a little. it is better to say something else i guess these guys do not mean it do theyo_O? o_O o_O :D :D :thumbd:

ps; look at this thing
    Agnitum Outpost Free v 6.51 (Recommended!)
    Agnitum Outpost Pro v 7 Beta (Recommended)
    Agnitum Outpost “Competitive Upgrades” to Old Versions (Strongly Avoid)
    Ashampoo Firewall (Waste of Time)
    Avast! Free v 5 (Recommended!)
    Comodo Firewall v 4 (Needs Improvement)
    Online Armor (Waste of Time)

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

No, it just means as a packet filter firewall OA is basic. But that can be said for most home grade routers.

- Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.