GRC - ShieldsUP! test

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Osaban, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I have recently moved to a new apartment, and after connecting my computer to the Internet I tested Look'n'Stop at the GRC website (ShiedsUp! test). Almost all of the first 1056 ports failed the stealth status (all ports but 4 are blue, which means they are closed but not invisible). It has never happened in 5 years, and I wonder what could be the cause. As far as I know my connection is behind a router which is pre installed by the condominium and had been checked by a technician when I moved in.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause for not achieving a stealth status? L'n'S is configured with "EnhancedRules Set", all "advanced options" are checked, my system is Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I even tried Windows Vista own firewall with the same results.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Sounds to me as if you rather check the ports of the router than your PC.
    You can check this on the GRC site, it tells you which IP is tested.

So your LnS will let you know about the IP of your PC. If it is different from the one that GRC shows, then GRC scans the router and not your PC/LnS.

Do you see any logs from the GRC-scan in your log file in LnS ?

Thomas :)

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thomas, thanks a lot. It is exactly as you say, GRC is scanning the router. I guess these are normal results or should the router show stealth ports as well?

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My problem (if any) is that the router is set by the condominium (it has a wall housing with difficult access, with zillions of wires interconnecting). As I'm not familiar with these devices, I'm a bit wary of changing anything as it might affect other apartments. I also think that the router should stealth all ports, and I don't think this has much to do with L'n'S.

I remember reading somewhere that routers with closed ports are still quite safe...

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The difference being, afaik, closed ports send a response that the port is closed, but a stealthed port doesn't send any response. That's about the extent of my knowledge in that department.

Because I know grc's Shield's Up is actually checking my router, I unplug it and check without the router in the mix, just to see where I stand. When I am stealthed without the router, I feel better.

By the way, for whatever reason, MBAM IP blocking is having a problem with looknstop.com, for whatever reason. I see it is mentioned on the forum, but no explanation as to why.

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

If your router doesn't provide the ability to stealth, you can set up port forwarding for all unsolicited inbound packets to a non-existent address on your network. This is what I had to do on my Netgear RT311 to get it to show full stealth on the ShieldsUp! test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.