Graphic Pros - I need a little Lesson

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dog, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Graphic Pros - I need a little Lesson

Hi All,

I'm having a little problem. I've DL several great PNG files that I would like to convert to ICO (icon files). The problem is they really don't turnout too great. So far I've tried using Photoshop, but can't get it to do it at all. I've had mild success with IrfanView, where I can actually convert the file, but the output is terrible. My best success is with Icon Sushi, where the output isn't bad, but isn't quite up to snuff.

Can anyone give me a little tutorial? Or point me in the direction of a good one?

TIA, ;)

Steve

Ps. Here's an attachment of one I'd like to convert, maybe it's not me o_O maybe it's the image, but I seriously doubt it :p ... Here it is if anyone wants to try to convert it.

Attached Files:

2. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

3. dog

dog Guest

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One other one you could try is Graphics Workshop Pro, at http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gww.html -- it can convert between just about any graphics formats around, including ICO and PNG.

It's shareware ($45 US to buy, slightly extra if you want a "hard copy" on CD) -- they used to be very liberal about letting you decide for yourself how long was sufficient to evaluate it, but I think they've been having troubles with abusers of the system. Last time I looked, the latest patches added a permanent "watermark" to any image file you opened while unregistered.

5. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

One that I like and is free to use is Photofiltre.
    It can convert a picture to the .ico format easily.

photofiltre

see screenshot :)

Attached Files:

6. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Uguel.

It looks great, and best of all it's free too. I DL'd it and I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks

Steve

7. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

You're welcome!
    I don't think you will regret it.
    It can add also frames and masks to pictures.
    Even people who use Paint Shop Pro can use it either
    for its simplicity or for its useful features. ;)

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi Uguel, ;)

It's a very nice program. I can't believe it has as many features as it does, considering it's freeware, it's definitely comparable to consumer-end payware editors. I would certainly recommend it to anyone, it's absolutely the Best freeware solution I've seen. ;) Thanks Again.

Steve

9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've had this photofiltre for a while now, but haven't had a good play with it. I can't believe it's that simple to create icons! Might have to start customising my desktop! :)

10. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hey steve, in that post it says something about an attachment with examples.

I was just curious how would one go about opening it.

I know you got your question answered but I was just curious to see what you ment. I have never used png files except when opening one. never had any reason to convert one. But dang it all, Photoshop should be able to do it!

One thought occurred to me. Did photoshop at some point in your life mention that a file you were opening contained an imbedded color profile, and did you say yes convert it the the embedded profile and don't ever ask me again. Its just a thought but could your png have an embedded color profile. Well never mind...how do I open the files?

- HandsOff

11. HandsOff

by the way, just downloaded the photofiltre, IT ROCKS!

i just opened a picture, when to the menu where it said export as icon. Very nice. It allows you to choose 8, 16, or 24 bit.

It's going to be fun replacing some of the uglier ones on my computer!

- HandsOff

12. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Well HandsOff, I am glad you like it.
    I especially like the frame and filter options.
    I know many people who use paint shop who
    also use Photofiltre for the frames for it can make
    pretty transparent frames. :)

Hey Dog, I had a try at making icons and here's the results.
    I tried with a white background first, then a black
    and finally ended with a transparent one. But either way,
    when resizing you loose some of the quality of the image. :doubt:

Here's a screenshot and since I cannot upload .ico files on the
    forum, I will send it to you as a .gif file and then you can
    open it in Photofiltre and save it as an .ico file.

Attached Files:

13. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Uguel,

Same problems here with the output image quality of that pic when converted to an .ico file.

But I must say your results are much better than mine. ;) Good Job Master. :)

Steve

14. HandsOff

Just out of curiosity what exactly is wrong with the output?

is it Tint, Tone, contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpness, pixelation, noise...help us out, dog.

also what type of monitor? It it listed specifically if you right click the desktop for properties then click on settings, advanced, and follow the bread crumbs to monitor? I'm still thinking allong the line of color profiles. If you have a CRT, then it might be important for you to calibrate the monitor. You probably have an icon called "adobe gamma". (in control panel)

I don't know if its related, but you might like to try it anyways, if you haven't already

-handsoff

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  15. dog

dog Guest

Thanks HandsOff,

The Monitor is fine; already calibrated. (19" Sony Trinitron/Dell)

Regarding the output, it loses some detail and there's slight loss of sharpness, regardless of how much I tweak the Image prior to converting it.

Steve

16. HandsOff

Hey dog -

Okay, I'm thinking maybe for some reason, XP might not be displaying your Icons in 24 bit (true color)

I'm trying to solve a problem that is similar, but different
    I cant remember the details but look at

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-017

(to wet your appetite I pasted what follows)

To enable true-color icons:

First of all, your display color-depth needs to be set to 16-bit or higher. Double-click on the Display icon in Control Panel, and click on the Settings tab. Adjust the Color Palette to your liking. Note: Your video card or monitor may not support the higher color depths necessary to use true-color icons.
    Next, choose the Effects tab, and make sure the Show Icon Using All Possible Colors option is checked.
    Press Ok when you're done.

If your Show Icon Using All Possible Colors option is grayed out, open the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop, and change the UserPreferencesMask value to 9c 00 00 80.

To create true-color icons:

Create a Windows Bitmap (.BMP), 32 pixels by 32 pixels, any color depth, and save it to a directory on your hard disk.
    In the properties window (right-click on the icon) of any shortcut, choose the Program tab, click Change Icon, and specify your new .BMP file

all I know is if you don't have true color for the icons, the generally look pretty bad

(note, i can find the effects tab under appearance, but do not have the box to check to enable all colors, could it be default now?)

-HandsOff

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  17. dog

dog Guest

Hi HandsOff, ;)

I don't have any issues with my icons. ;) Just the converted output image of the Outlook_Express.png, I posted in post #1. ~Thats all~ :)

But Thank You Anyway, ;)

Steve

18. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I think it's just natural to lose quality when reducing to such a small size. I find it quite regularly resizing pics to avatar size etc.

19. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Here, try this Dog. Just save as outlook_express.txt and change the "txt" to "zip" and extract. You will now have the icon I created :)....contains all sizes.

Regards,
    Jade.

Attached Files:

20. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Jade, ;)

It's very good! I'm at work ATM, I've just DL'd to my work PC (win 2k), I'll save it when I get home.

Here's a screenie of it. ;) ~Before anyone says anything :blink: ... I know the screenie shows the K-meleon shortcut using Jade's icon, I just randomly picked a shortcut to test the icon file out.~ ;) :)

Thanks

Steve

Attached Files:

21. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Uguel,
    many thanks for the link to Photophiltre, this is just what I have been looking for.
    Ta
    Jock

22. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

You are very welcome Jock! :)
    I hope this program will suit you needs all right. ;)

23. HandsOff

oh, yeah,

If you want, you can try using unsharp mask under sharpness under filters in photoshop. Doesnt hurt to increase the contrast a little too.

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.