GPT Loader XP SP3 not recognizing drive.

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by szr, Nov 18, 2014.

1. szr

szr Registered Member

I have a 3TB Hard drive (WDC WD30 EZR-00DC08B0) that I just want to use as a secondary drive on an XP Pro SP3 system. I have installed Paragon GPT Loader 10.0.16.12944 but can't seem to get it to work right for some reason that alludes me.

The 3TB drive in question is connected via an add-on PCI SATA card (Silicon Image SiL 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller), installed as non-RAID.

Both the drive and the SATA card show in Device Manager as installed and "working properly."

In the Properties for the SATA card, in the Device Info tab, it says the following:
    Code:
    Device Location: Channel 2 Target 0

Type: Disk Drive (Capacity 3000.59 GB)
    Model: WDC WD30EZRX-00DC08B0
    Firmware Revision: 80.00A80
    Serial Number: WD-WMC1T3844676
    ATA Version: ATA/ATAPI-9
    Look Ahead: Enabled
    Write Cache: Enabled
    Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA mode 6
    Host Link Speed: Generation 1 (1.5 Gb/s)
    Device Link Speed: Generation 1 (1.5 Gb/s)

However, Paragon GPT Disk Manager shows the whole drive as being 2047GB and when I try to partition it, it says unallocated part as only 127.9 GB.

Computer Management -> Disk Manager doesn't show the 3TB drive.

In [Event Viewer -> System] I see the following lines:
    gpt_loader | Warning | Could not read MBR for device 3 (disk might not been initialized or is a pure GPT one).
    gpt_loader | Information | Disk drive 3 vendor is supported by the driver.
    gpt_loader | Warning | Port driver for disk 3 failed ATA IDENTIFY command.

(Each of these lines seem to occur many times.)

I really don't understand why wont it see the whole drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----------
    Motherboard: Intel D850EMV2
    BIOS: AMI MV85010A.86A.0025.P10.020328215

Drive C: (system/boot drive) is a 60GB NTFS formatted drive.
    It is connected to: Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller (IDE on motherboard.)
    It is Master on Primary IDE channel.

3TB SATA drive: WDC WD30 EZR-00DC08B0
    Connected to: Silicon Image SiL 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller (PCI add-on SATA card.)

Paragon GPT Loader (and GPT Disk Manager) version: 10.0.16.12944

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. szr

szr Registered Member

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

4. szr

szr Registered Member

Thanks, I tried their procedure to no avail. It still shows the drive as 2047 GB.

Another note. When I was in diskpart, "list disk" didn't actually show the disc in question, but I was still able to select it's number and run the clean command. But alas it has not changed anything.

5. ninguno

ninguno Registered Member

Hi mate, did you manage to resolve your problem? I think I'm having a similar problem. My disk is detected with less capacity, but the messages i get are the same

gpt_loader | Information | Disk drive 1 vendor is supported by the driver.
    gpt_loader | Warning | Port driver for disk 1 failed ATA IDENTIFY command.

The disk space isn't correct detected by the bios (it's an old motherboard) but i understand this should not be a problem if i use the disk for data only (not OS).

6. ninguno

Hi mate, i finally got it resolved. Don't know if will apply to you, but this are the steps I follow.

- Control Panel
    - Device Manager
    - IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller
    - Right-click on NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (or your serial ata controller)
    - Properties
    - Make sure this is the one with your >2T drive. See connection 0 & 1 tabs.
    - Cancel
    - Right-click again on nForce SATA devices (in my case NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller)
    - Click on update driver software
    - Search for driver software on the computer
    - Select from a list of device drivers on the computer.
    - Select Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller
    - Next...
    - Reboot.

7. szr

szr Registered Member

ninguno, thanks for your reply. I don't see "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE" in the list anywhere. The closest generic that I see is "SCSI/RAID Host Controller", which I'll try when I get home (I had checked via remote desktop but I don't like making such changes remotely.)

8. ninguno

That's strange, I think is the more generic driver you can find. What Serial ATA Controller you see in Device Manager?

9. szr

szr Registered Member

It's a Silicon Image SiL 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller (a PCI card; installed using the supplied non-raid driver.)

10. szr

szr Registered Member

Something I noticed in your previous posts, was that you said your SATA controller was showing in the "IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller" section of Device Manager. Mine is listed under the "SCSI and RAID controllers" section. Not sure why a SATA card would be listed under IDE controllers, but this might be why you are getting a different list of generic drivers to choose from. I guess I need some way to set my SATA card to IDE mode?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.