GPS Units

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JerryM, Jun 13, 2017.

1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I hope this is OK to post here.
    I am wanting a GPS unit that I can use in the car, but maybe use out of the car also.
    I don't know anything about the current ones.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Jerry

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I suppose folks have their favorites but I like my Garmin. Others will swear by their Magellan, and then others by their TomTom. Then more will say, why not just use your smart phone - which is a valid question, especially if you want GPS outside your vehicle too and you already lug around a smart phone.

You need to decide how much you are willing to spend, what extra features you want and the size too. Your region of the world may matter too.

I have the Garmin nuvi 2555LMT and it works very well. It comes with free lifetime updates (you can update the maps 4 times a year). This one also receives traffic updates that alerts me to construction or congestion so I can take alternate routes, if I want. On well traveled routes, the screen will split and show an actual photo of the upcoming exit on my route I need to take.

That said, I've had mine for several years so the newer ones may be even better. So I recommend you check out the latest reviews, like this one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Bill. I'll check them out further.
    Regards,
    Jerry

4. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I own a Garmin and a Tom Tom and personally think my Garmin is easier to use. Tried my IPhone GPS but didn't like it that well. Have a Android now , I have not tried it's GPS yet. It was a necessity when I had my field service job of installing and repairing wireless bingo systems all over the cities. I use mine all the time when going to new places. You can still take your car GPS for a hike. Not much bigger then a smart phone and you can change it from driving to walking. I also have a hand help Garmin I used for fishing and hunting. You can set routes and waypoints with those. If you are a fishing person, you can buy lake maps for the hand holds also. something that nice in the land of 10,000 lakes as I am in. When fishing Walleye it is imperative to use a good hand held or mounted marine GPS to set waypoints of where you catch fish. Especial walleye.

OMG I paid more then this for my very old Garmin I am currently using. I think I paid like 400 bucks. I didn't even know they came with all this for 300 bucks, voice activation, dash cam, obstacle warnings. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1TW0A...subtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAHzMAAAAAHZr9bMAAAAAWUAxtw

Might have to upgrade. Other thing is know the laws for your area. In my state you can not mount it on your windshield via the suction cups they come with. Has to be mounted on the dash.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

For automobile use on an android phone (maybe apple as well but I do not know) a great GPS direction app is waze, Give it a try, you will be impressed (and its free).

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I am thinking about the cheapest Garmin, nuvi 57LM 5" , $89.00 at Walmart. I am not sure what the more expensive ones do that is worth the greater expense. I am not traveling, but just need something around town, and in case I take a trip. I don't have a smart phone; just an old flip top.
    Jerry

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

bgoodman4,
    I was going to download waze, but I only found it available on Google, and Google cannot DL on my Kindle.:(:(

8. Bill_Bright

That's probably a decent one to start with until you figure out if you need or want more, or if that will do. It has free lifetime maps so that is good.

I've never had good luck with those suction cup mounts. They stick for awhile then fall off with a big commotion. I decided it was due in part because the windshield is curved, plus the changes in heat from cold nights and hot sunny days.

I got one of these sandbag mounts thinking with the weight pressing down instead of hanging off/under the windshield, it would stick forever. Nope. It still falls. So I used RTV silicone sealant to stick the suction cup to the sandbag mount and it has held for a couple years now.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Sometimes we want a GPS that's receive-only :)

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have several Garmins. I'd be lost without them. Honest 1 is my backup GPS. My everyday is the 7" 2757 LM & Traffic cord bought separately. It's 2.5 years old & I just replaced the battery. Just like all GPS I've owned. Easy peasy if you can change your oil or similar skill level.

Have a huge Android LG G Flex D950 & MAPS.ME is excellent. MAPS.ME truly works offline not like others that lie & are data vacuums.

Sad fact is even with new units GPS outside of cars the run-time is short.

11. Bill_Bright

Receive only? Am I missing something? Pretty sure they all are receive only (except smart phone apps). I know of no GPS device that transmits. They receive from 2 or more satellites to triangulate your position.

Yeah, the bright display burns up a lot of energy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.