GPG (Gpg4win) gurus needed, a couple of questions

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by kxm732, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kxm732

kxm732 Registered Member

Sup geniuses, just have a couple of easy questions for you guys regarding GPG & Enigmail (Thunderbird) on Windows.

-I already generated my GPG key pair in Enigmail, of course I now know my public key BUT my private key is nowhere to be found, while searching on the web I read it's stored in a file called "Secring.gpg" (according to http://mozdev.org/pipermail/enigmail/2008-February/008814.html) but in my Secring.gpg file there are only random interrogation (?) symbols and looks nothing like a private key, does it mean it is encrypted?, this is weird, I tried GPA (certificate manager for OpenPGP and X.509 (S/MIME)) a couple of days ago and after i generated my key pair it allowed me to save an .asc file with both my public & private key for backup. I guess the question is how/where can i find my private GPG key created in Enigmail?

-How to verify signatures downloaded OpenPGP signatures? for example take a look at the available signature in the Enigmail download page http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download/index.php , once I have downloaded it what do I do with it?

-How to configure gpg agent? i suspect this is done in a command window and there's no GUI right?

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I have never used GPG on Windows (I use it on Linux). So I must ask, does it have any command line functionality in Windows? On linux, you merely open a terminal and type the following:

Code:
    gpg --list-keys
    And it will list all of your public and private keys.

And your private key is physically stored in "secring.gpg" as you suspected. And yes it is encrypted (with your password), which is why it appears scrambled.

Oh, and to verify sigs, you merely type:

Code:
    gpg --verify signaturefile.asc

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I found this on youtube -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLr8PdkdOY&feature=youtu.be-

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
  4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I use GPG on Windows. I think GPGshell will make your life using GPG a lot easier. It will handle all of the command line stuff for you. Once you create all of your keys with GPGShell, Enigmail will automatically detect and use them.

5. kxm732

kxm732 Registered Member

Thank you very much to all of you gentlemen for your excellent help, all problems have been solved. Best regards.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.