GParted Live or Partition Wizard Disks.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

So I finally re-organized my h/drive in the most efficient manner I could conjure up, following tips I got in this thread, especially the ones by Mrkvonic mentioning no need to use a primary partition for Linux and bman suggesting better organization.

I have both Partition Wizard and GParted live, recommended ver 0.4.6-1, boot disks. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been disappointed with GParted. First, it is very slow at moving or re-sizing partitions. Second, I was not able to delete a Linux Primary partition (Delete greyed out) with it last night. Partition Wizard I find excels in moving/re-sizing (very fast and effective) and I used it to delete the rogue partition. Only problem with it is it wont create/format linux file systems (irony is that it's built with Linux files o_O )

Anyway, I think I finally have my drive organized to near perfection :) It was a good learning experience as I did not previously realize extended partitions could allow more than the maximum four partitions and that Linux could be installed on all logical partitions. I finally got my Storage partition back which affords me better organization of my backup data.

Attached Files:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Not sure what happened with the grey space, but you can't delete partitions that sit "before" others physically, you have to work in sequence. The best thing would be to delete sda2/3/4, create data partition, then last, create extended - or create only extended and shrink it if needed and create primaries after that, but even data can go into logical ones, so you only need 1 primary for windows or max 2, if you use windows 7 with the system partition.
    Mrk

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I meant to ask about the grey spaces, but they are very small anyway and can't be "seen" with either PW or GParted disks, unless they are some sort of volume system information spaces?? I won't worry about them. Maybe it is a sequence thing, but I was able to use PW to delete the primary partition which sat between System1 and the extended partition.

That would probably work because you know about this stuff. Trouble is, I'd have to re-install Mint because for some odd reason the grub 2 buggers up (the menu won't present itself) when the images are restored to differently located/created partitions, even if the sizes are exactly the same. I realize ShadowProtect is not Linux supported, but the recovery disk works perfectly in imaging/restoring as long as I leave the original partitions alone. I'll just leave things how they are, because it's still better than what I had and everything is working fine :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.