Government Spying on Chatrooms

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Starrob, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

They would probably have more luck on the Usenet. :cool:

3. steverio

steverio Registered Member

I'm sure the government has already implemented private plans before publicly announcing them. :)

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Sure have, they have cracked many paedophile rings here in Australia using chatroom stings.

Only the other day, they nabbed some guys here who went to meet "13 year old" girl.

The cops simply entered a chat room, got a nick, told everyone 'she' was a 13 year old looking to chat, and pretty soon had dozens of pervs in the room, where the chat gradually progressed to meet the girl..... LOL.. naturally the cops showed up, and nabbed the mongrels, [2] who came 'prepared' for the meeting.

Straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 :D

Great stuff...:)

5. steverio

Yeah, that's good news! :)
    I see Prime Minister John Howard is presenting a zero tolerance strike force plan against child predators.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yeah, they should be doing this action by right, it's the best way to track down and nab those child predators.

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

very interesting article,i have visited a couple of chatrooms and they were next to nothing--the ones i visited anyway-seems like about everyone there was a pervert of some type,no intellegent conversation of any kind--just disgusting!what are some of your opinions on chat rooms.is it just me or the ones ive visited?just curious :D
    Rita

8. steverio

Briefly, I would be careful about which chat rooms to make dialogue with. You've read the news.....There are some savy cybertravelers with some controversial views out there and wacko's that will use information they get to their advantage. It always doesn't hurt to protect your computer too in case a chat room goon wants to send you a virus.

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

....and speak of the devil, I open my Sunday Mail today and what do I find....

Another lot of scumbags bite the dust....

Those Aussie cops aren't mucking about. This is in the State where I live. :)

CHATROOM STING ~ AGAIN

Cheers, TAS...

edit: Now this I LOVE:
    Fantastic result. :D

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's good news, Tas. More power to them.

11. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i like pretending im 16 year old girl in them chat rooms have them send me stuff to my pob then they send me airline tickets lol i then cash in the airline tickets lol then i inform the authroitys lol

guy gets busted i get cash every one wins lol

12. Jackfox

Jackfox Guest

Yes, we need to protect the kids like yourself and your friends. You are at an age where you might be vulnerable. Despite your knowhow about computer security , you are still young....

13. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hey true, Nadirah!

We gotta look out for each other, not picking on you!

Ritaann, when I first started I thought, Great! I can talk to some adults about happenings in the world! LOL!!! Don't think there was a brain among the whole couple of chatrooms, the stuff sounded like a bunch of 12-13 yr olds running amuck! I got some brothers I remember the junk they thought was funny and then among them are some really predatory scum. :(

People always think about girls, but, since I was one, let me remind you all that a predator doesn't care about the girl/boy thing, it's power, them feeling powerful, so the sex of the target is not an issue. I wish more fathers would talk to their sons about that too.

Teenager angst, awful stuff, no body understands you, loves you, the world sucks, that is how they reel alot of them in. I understand you but no one else does! Oh horsepatooty!

Well, didn't mean to depress anyone, but, offense is better than defense, especially with kids, right? :)

Care,
    Marja:cool:

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Steverio
    yeah i know,its terrible,I dont even go to the chatrooms anymore,a complete waste of time i believe.you have a nice day :)
    rita

15. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

:D--
    rita

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

yeah,me too and you are exactly right about not being a brain among them and the language was just awful--you could sure learn some new nasty words there :eek: whats the world coming too!maybe there are some decent chatrooms but in all honesty-i never happened upon one
    rita

17. Shae

Shae Registered Member

Just my opinion, but I think parents need to be aware of what their kids are doing online and for pete's sake, use the parental controls your ISP offers. It's just too scary at what can happen to kids online that aren't very saavy or have any parental guidance.... :( :mad:

18. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Is anyone here going to say it?

It seems many of you are happy to give up this one, particular civil liberty so long as your others aren't infringed.

Ain't going to work that way.

Don't go to chat rooms unless you want some particular contact or information.

For pity's sake, Mankind! Don't talk to strangers!

19. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

That's what is soo disgusting, they blow out the civil liberties and catch the sickos, but, then someday.... Hey you agreed about that other deal, you can't have it both ways, why should you get preferential treatment!
    And now, who knows from one day to the next what is going to be against someone's law?
    There ought to be an answer, but, for the life of me, I haven't come across one.
    I'd like to have the liberties my great greats, greats and parents joined the armed services and fought and died for! They are going too fast for meo_O? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.