Got molasses?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by warpdrive, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpdrive

warpdrive Registered Member

I purchased ATI-9 and an external usb drive this weekend and set about to backup my desktop system. Everything loaded fine and appeared to run normal. I Started a full backup of 2 HD (60GB and 80GB) onto a 160 GB. I left it to run overnight. And it kept running and running and running...

After 13 hours it completed the job. I can access the images and look at the files - everything seems to have worked.

My question is about time - is it normal to take so long to complete a backup? Maybe I mis-read information on ATI-9 but I thought I could have an image done in 1- 3 hours not 13 hours.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Is that 60GB and 80GB of files, or are those the drive sizes?

On my very old, slow system, I back up aout 40GB, spread over 3 hard drives in 10 logical drives. in about 195 minutes, including the verify.

It would not surprise me if 3.5 times as many files took over 10 hours to backup and verify.

But then I have a slow, old computer.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Ooops, I'm talking about an image, not file, based backup.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Far too long. Using an old Pentium 4 it takes me about 10 minutes to make an image of a 25 gig partition ( 7 gig of data).

what build are you using ? suggest you check on the Acronis site to make sure that you have the lastest build. I have had no speed problems making images to an external USB but did have restore speed problems with some earlier builds on some, but not all, machines.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello warpdrive,

Could it be that your external drive (though new) is not USB 2.0 compatible? Can you try a partition backup internal HD to internal HD to see what gives?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello warpdrive,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the program, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, Internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Make sure to update your USB controller drivers (check your motherboard manufacturer's site).

If the problem persists, could you please send us (support@acronis.com) the request with the link to this thread and exact model name of your external USB drive along with the exact sequence of actions that lead to the problem you report, so that we could reproduce it.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

7. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

way too long to do a backup. Are the hard drives full? If not, is your system USB 2.0 compliant or USB 1.1. It makes a huge difference...

8. warpdrive

warpdrive Registered Member

It was the USB issue. My compter and external drive were both USB2 but I was using a usb hub that was not. I bypassed the hub and did the back upp in less than an hour. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.