Google's Location History tracking is creepier than thought

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by guest, Jan 29, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Google's Location History tracking is creepier than thought
    January 29, 2018
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/29/google-location-history-tracking-is-creepier-than-thought/

2. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Not a big surprise here. Typical google.
    On the other hand, I believe much of why and how google is so advanced in technology in general now is because of the stupid amounts of data they are collecting from over billions of users.

When we talk about systems security, we mostly forget about the main issue, which is the company behind that system, instead we mostly forget about that and talk to about how to 'protect your data' from an outside attack - when it is the company behind that system that collects the most amount of data... especially the discussion of Windows security, imo..

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Not me, I am all about that. Ive been saying for years, your biggest adversaries are the Systems manufacturers, the OS manufacturers, and the software industry giants, followed and encouraged by government.
    Between them they have designed and engineered the modern consumer computer system to facilitate the export of any data you put into it. Period.
    If that was not true they would be suing people like me left and right for saying it is, publically.
    The criminal hackers, everyone is so concerned about just exploit what has been handed to them on a plate by all of the above.
    And I'll say this, if you can take almost any part of a computer system today and analyse it individually, you will find how they have designed it not to be secure, from the glaring examples like Windows firewall with no outbound connection alerts, to more subtle things like password managers that use the clipboard.
    I believe it will change, it has to. They had it all their way for so many years and they have turned it into a criminal cesspool.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. noway

noway Registered Member

No need to complain to them about privacy via "Contact Us" either. You could type your concerns into any Google search engine box and they'd probably get the message directly, lol.

5. aih

aih Registered Member

Thinking about the fitbit article that is in the news right now. Can I link it if I find it again? Not sure about the rules. But then again I may not need to. Y'all may know what I'm thinking about.

I'm also thinking of what I've read in past few years about Facebook, Twitter, Uber, Lyft, Apple..... Not minimizing things. Just saying.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  6. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Yes and if you want to tell the nsa about it too, just put the T word in with it lol

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. aih

aih Registered Member

Yeah. Thanks. That's the story, and maybe I did see it here first.

I don't have any love for Google or Android. Actually I won't use either. But the larger story to me is the info we allow to be collected, intentionally or unintentionally, with or without awareness it is being collected, not knowing what or when or how. The other story is that the online world, still after all these years, is a frontier. The law may come, but it will be a while.

9. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I have adguard install in a non rooted android phone and it often blocks location services.

Does this mean i am ok while i do block?
    or is it also bypassing software like adguard firewall/filter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.