Google Will Track Your Offline Credit Card Payments to Make Advertisers Happy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by stapp, May 24, 2017.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...edit-card-payments-to-make-advertisers-happy/

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

No more surprises left for me just disgust. My cynical dial is turned way up, feels like 100/100. I know it's not at 100 & that scares me.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

In a way, though, this isn't such a big deal. I mean, Google just wants to push ads more effectively.

What's frightening is that data from credit/debit cards is so readily available.

Who else is using all this data, and for what?

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Especially for you mirimir. You know who's using this data. You're too smart. Too late to play ignorant.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

7. mirimir

I have my suspicions. But honestly, I don't know how much Google shares with TLAs. Its politics seem rather anarcho-capitalist. Not as extreme as Uber, it's true. But recall that it encrypted lines between data centers after Snowden leaks revealed that the NSA was tapping them.

It's Cambridge Analytics and such that concern me more. Given the risk of AI-driven social manipulation. That's worse than TLAs, because it directly undermines democracy. Google might sell to them. But Google does seem reticent to sell individualized data. Maybe for moral reasons, or maybe just about money.

And of course, they could all be working together. In which case, it's entirely hopeless :(

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I believe that's the truth. And when I think about it I too feel hopeless. I'm saddened & envious that the vast majority I'd say 90%+ don't believe this. I just can't un-know. It's a very lonely feeling. And worse as the younger take power they don't care even if they know.

Reminds me the rule book after seizing dictatorial power (decades ago) was making sure every household had a b&w tv & that only sitcoms ran 24/7. Now that's not needed with fb, twitter, snapchat & the kardashians.

And the lack of compassion & taking care of each other is disappearing right before my eyes.

I've been loads of fun to be around the last couple years. Seems the most I'm at peace truly is helping others less fortunate than myself. And it's tough cause I'm an empath & absorb the pervasive selfishness. Which I continually have to fight off & I win less than half the time.

Well tmi again. So fn what kinda like therapy.

9. mirimir

Sad :(

It's entirely hopeless for most people. And long term, perhaps for humanity to be free of omniscient AI.

But hey, you do what you can. Really long term, merging with AI is probably the best option.

Unless the system crashes and burns, which is always possible.

Whatever happens, I'll be long dead.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.