Google wants to unclog Net's DNS plumbing

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by snowdrift, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Sorry, I trust OpenDNS a hell of a lot more.

3. tsec

tsec Registered Member

The Monolith continues to grow.

4. snowdrift

5. snowdrift

6. snowdrift

7. tsec

tsec Registered Member

(From the OpenDNS blog post above).

In time, the word 'internet' will be excised from history, replaced by the 'goooglenet'.

Maybe.

Perhaps.

Probably...

8. snowdrift

"You have to remember they are also the largest advertising and redirection company on the Internet. To think that Google's DNS service is for the benefit of the Internet would be naive. They know there is value in controlling more of your Internet experience, and I would expect them to explore that fully."
    -- OpenDNS's David Ulevitch

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183671/google_public_dns_and_your_privacy.html

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Me too.Having seen how Google abandoned it's principles in order to gain a foothold in China,I for one won't be placing my trust in them.:thumbd:

10. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

This is from the same company that helps do internet censorship for China, and turns over blogger identities, is that correct? Then I don't think I will be letting them handle my DNS information, thanks very much.

11. inka

inka Registered Member

I regard the news that Google will be offering DNS service as both scary... and wonderful.

Take whatever the OpenDNS mouthpiece spouts, regarding Google, with a grain of salt.
    Sour grapes.
    Aw shucks. Google is passing them by, building another service from scratch, rather than "acquiring" OpenDNS.

Google providing DNS service is less 'scary' to me than the fact that Google Picassa v3 offers to scan my drive, perform "facial recognition" of all imagefiles present on my local machine & apply metadata labels to each.

Across a decade, the internet (at least the http layer) has really turned into a cesspool. Not just malware, but rampant plagarism & SOE gaming. No benefit to me, the user & often detrimental to me, the user. Net Neutrality or not, I believe many people are ready (or are nearly ready) to return to a "walled garden" internet experience. AOL brought the masses online -- if google succeeds in maintaining a perception of "safety" by use of its vertical infrastructure, I believe the masses will flock to using it.

connect the dots:

How many years ago (three?) did Google acquire the Greenwall HIPS app?

Isn't the iPhone Marketplace (whatever it's called; not my stomping ground) currently among the most successful, most profitable online retail enterprises?

A Google O/S, with a marketplace of juried 3rd-party apps, seems like it would be a sure winner.

(yeah, in the context of this "privacy" thread, I've skipped a few dots.)

edit: GreenBorder, not Greenwall

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

13. inka

inka Registered Member

siljaline, thanks. I followed the link to TheRegister article.
    Reading Ulevitch's quoted comments furthers my "sour grapes" impression.

OpenDNS is already "messing with" non-resolving DNS queries, returning a "search" page containing sponsor ads instead of displaying "host not found". Takes a lot of gall, in my book, for the pot to call the kettle black here.

14. inka

inka Registered Member

pinging Google's DNS servers
    yields results in the 42-45ms range for me.

That doesn't compare favorably to the 23-26ms pings I typically see for
    which are the publicly-accessible DNS servers I've been using recently

15. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Agreed! many are finding negative to deplorable results.

16. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I have to admit, despite what they say, I don't think using Google DNS is good idea. They already know too much of me, for one.

Like someone said in DSLr forum it's better to spread the info around so that no one single faction can too easily get and compile information regarding you.

17. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Come on. We all know why Google is doing this. They want total information awareness. They want to know everything about everyone. They already know what information we search for. They know what we click on when we do those searches. They know what we watch on Youtube.

What's left? Oh, yeah. What sites do we visit when we don't do Google searches. Check that off the list as well. What's left now? I honestly can't think of much. Obviously they can't relay all the internet traffic in the world, although I'm sure they'd love to. What's the next best thing? DNS, of course. It's so predictable. They know all too well that our personal information is worth big bucks. :thumbd:

18. snowdrift

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.