[Google] Search engine suggestions?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No. I'm still using Scroogle until the day it dies, when I'll probably use Bing. Hopefully it doesn't suck for my country by then and will have created an https version.

edit:
    Good to know.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I wonder why they did that, it worked (opt-out) on all modern browsers before.

After updating to Firefox 5, I see Google Instant again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Another thing with the Google Instant service is that, whenever you hover a link, you'll get a preview of the URL. The problem is that you also get a chance to accidently click it and enter the URL.

I say it's a problem because many people have no other protection than an AV and some rating tool. Just by accidently clicking one of those previews users will enter an URL, which otherwise they wouldn't, if the rating tool they use gives xyz URL a red rating.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is a dangerous thing...

4. x942

x942 Guest

You have 3 options when it comes to google:
    1)block cookies and only allow the gmail cookie when loging in to gmail - do this and use ghostery and block 3rd party cookies. If you take the time and analyze gmails cookie you will see its only for keeping you logged in. The other one (blocked by ghostery) is the tracking cookie.

2) block cookies and use a client (IE thunderbird) no more gmail cookies at all

3). Find a different service and stop complaining about it. (all though you will find all (good) search engines leave some cookies and all (good) email services do the same. Unless you block cookies 99% of the web leaves cookies. About 60% of those cookies are good (keeping you logged in etc. ) the rest are tracking/ad cookies and can be blocked easily enough.

Letting cookies through has nothing to do with security. Cookies are privacy concern NOT a security concern (cookie hijacking is different all together). Using a less secure browser means I could hack into you computer throw an exploit allowing cookies means at best I can track your browsing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.