Google Pack weirdness on XP SP3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by peterk62, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterk62

peterk62 Registered Member

I have two PCs running XP SP3. One machine is running XP Pro with LUA and SRP, the other machine is XP Home with LUA. I installed Google Chrome using the Google Pack installer on both machines. The XP Pro system is working fine, but the XP Home has a really weird problem which is 100% reproducible.

The problem is that after installing Chrome using the Google Pack installer, Windows Explorer does not work in a limited user account. Trying to open a folder results in the "Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog. Admin accounts are ok, and uninstalling Chrome and the Google Updated restores explorer.

This does not happen on the XP Pro system.
    This does not happen if I install Chrome for a single user instead of using the pack installer.
    This does not happen if I install SRWare Iron.

I haven't seen any reports of this problem and have no clue why Chrome/Pack would be interfering with Windows explorer. Has anyone else run into this problem?

2. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Google Chrome ? Not a lot can be said really about such a skeletal offering. Why discuss it`s idiosyncrasies of compatibility with Windows or anything else.

Google Chrome is to the sophisticated needs and advanced technology of 2011 computer systems that the Wright Brothers flying machine is to orbital space flight.

John B

3. peterk62

peterk62 Registered Member

I suppose it doesn't really matter if we are talking about Chrome or some other application. What puzzles me is why the Google Pack installer has this unexpected effect on the Windows Explorer on one system but not on another. If anything I would have expected problems on the XP Pro system since I am using SRP in addition to LUA. Fortunately the effect is reversible by uninstalling Chrome (but then again the problem doesn't seem to be Chrome itself since I can install it in the user directory - it is just Google Pack).

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Peter, sorry for the jab at Chrome, but I could`nt resist it. Of no help to you though.
    I do hope our enthusiastic members will respond to your problem, they usually never let anybody down who yells for help.

I tried Chrome just after Googlie launched the wretched thing onto the market. After giving it a very exhaustive testing of well over 5 minutes - I dumped it fast.

A few days ago, I updated my Google Earth. It plonked away for ages, then finished with no problems. When I looked at it, they had without my permission, installed Chrome as well and had the dictatorial audacity to make the damned thing my default browser !

I soon killed that one off and put my beloved Firefox back as default. Chrome is about as much use to me as a one wheel bike.

Hope somebody comes in with an answer to your post.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.