Google once again blocks YouTube app for Windows Phone

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://betanews.com/2013/08/15/google-once-again-blocks-youtube-app-for-windows-phone/

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You touch the ability for Google to serve up ads and you'll immediately cause hellfire and brimstone to rain down upon you. ABP learned that and we're damned lucky that it is still allowed in the simple Chrome extension store after Play banned them.

3. max2

max2 Registered Member

That is why I use Ad Muncher no company can pay them enough to stop blocking ads.

Plus once it works completely with Windows 8 and 8.1 it will be unstoppable. Being able to block ads in all apps with metro will be awesome.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

With their development cycle, by the time they get full support we may be on Windows 9 or higher.

5. max2

max2 Registered Member

I disagree.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Seems to be more about anti-competitive behaviour than anything to do with ads.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...e-youtube-app-again-for-manufactured-reasons/

Demanding an app be written in HTML5... you might as well use the damn browser.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You can do so, but the development track record is there for all to see.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

How (not specifically disagreeing, just don't see any info to back this statement up) ?
    Are they blocking competing video services ?
    Are they also block other non-conforming apps (does it just happen that MS has publicised their own experience)?

Same rules everyone else is supposed to follow.

Regardless of the motive, API TOS rules have been broken and there are explicit restrictions on the use of Youtube trademark in the name of any product.
    Google has every right to block this app.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  10. elapsed

Seems like you are disagreeing, and are firmly in the 5% of the readers I see online that actually think Google has the right to do this. Total whack.

You can pretend otherwise all you want, but YouTube is THE video service. It is the Windows of its world. Just look at the recent stats of how much Internet data IS YouTube.

I'm sure you'd love being forced into using only HTML5 to write Windows apps, right?

There are tons of YouTube apps for WP, none written in HTML5, all working fine.

Except Google apparently. I'm curious though, who exactly is "everyone else"? No app developers on the WP store that's for sure.

Why should others be forced into having to create an inferior experience? So that Google will always have the superior experience with their app, that's why. Not very "open" of Google now is it.

Funny how Android users whined and whined until Facebook made a proper native app rather than an HTML5 app, I think we all know which is the superior experience.

11. NGRhodes

Its their API, they are under no obligation to provide a public API, they are the ones serving the content, they have every right to restrict their API to people who don't comply with their ToS.

Please provide me with fact that says they can't and how its anti-competitive.

How is google preventing competition to Youtube ?

Its what Microsoft promote for developing Windows 8 Apps, so why should it be a problem for writing a youtube app specifically?

And there are tonnes are pirated copies of Windows XP all working fine, does'nt make it OK.

Afraid your wrong "for sure".

Metrotube was taken down (the most popular youtube client on WP) in the past for non compliance with Google's API/ToS (http://www.wpcentral.com/metrotube-be-discontinued-after-january-1st), so Microsoft is not being singled out.

Why do you think Google should even provide an API to use ?

And Facebook app provides more features than their API exposes, just like Youtube, so its OK for Facebook to provide a superior native app but not Google ?

From the Arstechnica article you quoted (emphasis mine):

Cheers, Nick

12. elapsed

Sorry, not going to waste my time with someone who thinks Microsoft "is promoting HTML5 for Windows 8 development" (it's an available language, nothing else) or who thinks pirated copies of Windows XP has anything to do with this, or who thinks it's excusable for someone to abuse their dominant product because "other products can be made".

I just can't be bothered.

13. NGRhodes

They are all logical arguments.

HTML5 was very much promoted amongst developers as a new language alongside the existing XAML as the only presentation languages for Windows 8 Apps.

Considering its natively supported in the Windows 8 SDK, there is no problem with using HTML5 to develop Windows [Modern UI] apps. What is your objection to my statements about these facts ?

With regards to my statement about pirated XP : Pirated XP break terms and conditions of use, just like numerous other versions of youtube apps break Googles terms and conditions, but just because they do, does not mean its OK for Microsoft to as your argument construed.

You are also falsifying quotes and stating arguments I never made, I never stated "other products can be made" nor have I stated my opinion on the matter, I quoted from the same article you linked to !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.