Google Now Offers Encrypted Search

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20005636-245.html

Google began offering an encrypted option for Web searchers on Friday and said it planned to roll it out for all of its services eventually.

People who want to use the more secure search option can type "https://www.google.com" into their browser, scrambling the connection so the words and phrases they search on, and the results that Google displays, will be protected from interception.
    More at the link above....

I can't help but wonder if all the fuss over Scroogle recently when Scroogle was unable to scrape results properly made Google say, "Hey, we can do that." It may hide your searches from your ISP. But Google? Also, this could be a reaction to all the fire Google has been under regarding privacy with their WiFi snooping.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Now will Scroogle use the new SSL search to secure the connection between Scroogle and Google servers I wonder?

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

For about a week when ever I used Scroogle I got a popup asking if I wanted to use their new service www.SSL.scroogle.org, but it disappeared 2 days ago.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Carver. Just remove the 'www"....this link works:
    https://ssl.scroogle.org/

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

7. elapsed

Carver, this isn't what I'm referring to. I know Scroogle has an SSL page, this encrypts data transmission between you and Scroogle. But data transmission between Scroogle and Google is not encrypted, so I'm hoping Scroogle will now choose to use the encrypted Google.

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

It doesn't have to be ;)

They are requesting and receiving search results with one of their many ip addresses - not yours!

9. elapsed

I'm aware of that, but that search data can be intercepted along the way, anonymous or not.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

At present, it appears that the Google SSL search doesn’t support all of the capabilities found on the standard Google homepage, such as searching images, news, and shopping. Hopefully, this functionality will be available in the future.

11. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.