Google Earth 6 beta (is rubbish)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Beware of the Google Earth recent release, it is inherently unstable on my laptop. It is a beta, but they don't actually mention this when you upgrade from GE itself & is in the small print. It freezes my computer & it is even virtually impossible to kill it with task manager which won't launch when GE freezes everything.

I'm not impressed. :mad:

2. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I'll pass

3. Daveski17

A wise move. ;)

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, just curious. Does you laptop use Integrated Graphics or does it have a Graphics Card?

The Google Earth System Requirements state Graphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 64MB of VRAM (min) and Graphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 256MB of VRAM (recommended).

5. Daveski17

Ah! I knew it would be a technical thing LOL. o_O I'm pretty sure it has an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. The last two incarnations of Google Earth worked fine though. I think GE being a beta doesn't help.

Google Earth? Google Bollocks Dearth more like LOL!

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, it seems that software is headed toward more and more GPU utilization, a la Firefox 4 and IE9, to name a few. Thanks for the reply.

7. Daveski17

OK. I do hope the Google Earth 6 final release works better. Interestingly, the Google Earth 3D generation in Google Maps works fine on my Belnea laptop. I have learned not to trust Google betas anyway. ;)

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Regardless of product?

9. Daveski17

Well, if GE 6 beta is an indication of Google betas in general, I'd certainly think twice about downloading another. On the other hand, the SeaMonkey betas are generally quite stable & usable. I know some SeaMonkey users online who actually use the betas as their default browsers. Recently PDF X-Change had a 'beta' release on a general upgrade (quickly updated again however). It could be said that all software is 'beta' to some extent. I am genuinely disappointed with this GE 6 beta however. I think Google should have made it more clear that this is a beta & not a general release. I have only been using GE for about six months & it has always worked well on upgrades. It just seems to me that Google are pushing this beta a bit. Why not have both stable & beta releases available? I'm fairly certain it isn't my laptop's graphic capabilities that are at fault. I'm sticking with the previous release on my desktop, even though it is 64 bit & a lot more powerful (& only a couple of months old).

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Theres nothing wrong with it, So yelling that its rubbish before its even finalized is a bit presumptious to say the least. I dont generally try BETA products, but I gave this a go, and I find it to be perfectly stable, no issues whatsoever. Also as to what JRViejo said, and I concur, Intergrated Graphics on Notebooks/Laptops, are not the most efficient, when purchasing one try to look for one with at least !GB of Nvidia or ATI Graphic cards, you wont be sorry. Theres also a nice little Samsung out that has a 2GB Graphics card:cool:

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/...03AU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

11. Daveski17

Ermmm ... OK. I'm still not trying it on my desktop. There's something wrong with it all right. It's a beta! GE has worked fine on my dodgy Belnea laptop for over six months. As I said, it doesn't make it that obvious when you upgrade from the previous version that it's actually a beta. I'll bear in mind what you say about graphics cards though when I am thinking of getting a new laptop/netbook. That is a nice Samsung in that link :) :thumb:

Anyway, presumptuous is my middle name! :cool:

EDIT: I just gave it a spin again. It seems fine for a lot of things, like the places I have 'bookmarked' etc & can be OK. It seems to go a bit wacko when I toggle between 'street' view & a normal 'aerial' view, this has some new functionality & I think it is not developed well yet. I suppose it is a graphics thing, but I am still a little disappointed in Google for this beta. I'll see if I can flat-spin the F-16 again now .... LOL

... I've just ejected from the F-16 (again), I find that exiting from the flight simulator is difficult, I don't know if this is because of the graphics on this laptop or it is just some bug.

I have just had a good blast with Google Earth in Google Maps & it is working fine. Why would my graphics work well with that without freezing & yet freeze in Google Earth? o_O

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Had installed Google Earth beta 6 a few weeks ago and it ran fine here, what I didn't care for was Google update constantly running even when Google Earth was not.
    So I uninstalled Google Earth,rebooted and Google Earth was gone but Google updater was still there and running.
    No Google Earth or the Google toolbar installed yet their updater was still running.
    Finally removed their updater and decided to keep GE and the rest of their software off my PC.
    V4 of Earth never had this issue, why now? A bug, maybe.

13. Daveski17

My guess is that it, being a beta, is exhibiting different bugs on various systems. I suppose we won't know until the stable release. I hope the issues are resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.