Google DNS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Anyone using Google DNS?
    I'd like to learn about your experiences and hear your questions.

I have a few questions...

1. Is there a test page? (I don't think so.)
    Google's instructions for testing are not very valid, imo. Let's just say they aren't as confirming as the Norton or ClearCloud test page. The most effective way I can come up with is to confirm that I am not running any of the others (that I switched from).

2. Anyone have any insights into Google DNS security?
    After checking here, I learn that the service does quite a bit on the security front, yet it doesn't block or filter.

3. Anyone done any speed testing? I've only conducted informal, anecdotal testing (this one felt faster than that one, etc), and can say that Google DNS is right up there with Norton, ClearCloud, Open and Comodo Secure DNS. But again, I emphasize, I have conducted little if any benchmark testing. It feels very fast.

All in all, I am impressed with the volumes of info available on the Google DNS security approach, as outlined in the link provided above. In fact, they go into far more detail than any other service I have seen. And it seems logical that Google DNS makes a good partner to Google Chrome.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Those are standard procedures that most public DNS providers have. Really, the only benefit of choosing GoogleDNS is if it's faster than your ISP's DNS.

Nothing is faster than my ISP's DNS but I choose a malware blocking DNS service for an extra safety net, I don't care about +5ms.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Google DNS makes it very clear that it will never prevent sites from showing up. It's not "into" that I guess. But it does protect the DNS servers themselves very well while providing you great speeds.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Why would Anyone CHOOSE to route ALL their www's through google ?

You do know they store Everything, & Forever, & can cross reference Everything against your IP. Maybe your ISP does too, but NONE of that data is not available to be publically mined, unlike google's can be !

Pass :p

5. Hungry Man

Nothing to hide nothing to fear.

And if I'm going to trust a company with my information I'll trust Google. Why? Because I know multiple people who work there and I like their philanthropic standpoint that (over 3 years) has donated more than 800million to clean energy while also being one of the most carbon neutral companies.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

How do you know what procedures most DNS providers follow if they don't publish those procedures?

The following sentence from Google sounds like it is saying that all providers do NOT implement the same solutions...

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Something in your Security Setup says otherwise.

So, if nothing to fear... why hide?

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hello CloneRanger

If you choose to believe Google (big "if" there, right?), here is what they say, in part, about storing everything & forever...

9. Hungry Man

Mostly because I don't need the services that those provide. I still send anonymous crash reports and I send malicious website reports as well.

However I don't use "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors" nor do I use "Use a prediction service to help complete search and URL's typed in the address bar" because I don't like those services.

That's still a privacy feature so I figured I'd put it in my security setup.

10. CloneRanger

Originally Posted by Hungry Man

I used to know someone who worked in a Super Top Secret USA Spy Base, nice guy, but what They did, & still do, ain't so nice !

Don't get me going on that person who supposedly "invented the internet" & his Multi $M crooked CO2 schemes :mad: See my sig for real FACTS about so called Global Warming etc :thumb:

@ Page42

Hi, thanks for that :thumb: But it doesn't reassure me :p

11. Hungry Man

My point about knowing people there is that we've talked about Google's practices.

I uh... don't really feel like discussing global warming... I tend to avoid talking to you in general because you're nuts... no offense >_>

edit: Eh, that's meaner than I want to be. I mostly just disagree with everything you say and you seem like a typical conspiracy "theorist" and I've talked to enough of you to know I'm wasting my time and yours.

12. CloneRanger

@ Hungry Man

You brought up the subject of,

Not me :D I only pointed out the way to find out the FACTS !

Not me, only interested in FACTS about conspiracys :)

Me Nuts, coming from you, i'll take it as a compliment :p

13. Hungry Man

K... like I said... not interested in any sort of discussion, I've learned my lesson talking to people like you... "facts" are only "facts" when you people want them to be and when they come from so-called reputable sources (aka Alex Jones and other nutjobs.)

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Meanwhile, getting back on topic would be a plus.

The subject of trust inevitably seems to come up when one mentions Google.
    Since I trust myself, anyone I trust after that is just a sub-set of trusting myself.

Being overly concerned about privacy on the internet is akin to jumping in a pool of water and worrying about getting wet.

Does anyone think that Google DNS is doing anything any different than other services?

15. Hungry Man

In terms of securing their databases? Yes, they seem to imply that not everything they do is standard.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Definitely the impression I got as well.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why anonymous reports when you have nothing to hide Hungry Man? What's the point of privacy features? Of course, you can't fit into it's literal definition.

Anyhow, I don't find Google DNS that useful, because I'm more interested in the security of my computers than their servers.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Sorry to break the news, but the "facts" on both sides of the green issue are construed and distorted to achieve the agenda that each side wants to achieve.

Much of the information people are fed is given a bias. You really can't trust either side unless you are on that side. For someone like myself who attempts to have rational reasoning, both sides are extreme and not to be trusted fully.

This applies to so much in life, whether environmentalism, goverment, religion or even computer security.

Sul.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Then just weigh in on the security aspect, Sul, and forget the green stuff.
    I'm looking for input in a DNS service, not a clean energy discussion. :cool:

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My point is, regarding Google DNS, as with the other aspects I mentioned, the end user is given "information" which is likely to have a spin on it IF it came from one camp or the other. Is Google tracking users of that service? Or are they only providing a secure service?

It is always more challenging to find an unbiased opinion based on fact in circumstances like these, isn't it?

Sul.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I understand, Sul.
    It often comes down to a case of who you choose to believe.
    Do you use a DNS service?
    Do you have an opinion on the security that Google DNS claims to offer with its service?
    One poster stated that they all pretty much offer the same thing.
    Google, in my opinion, sure goes out of their way to reveal what they offer... even if it is offered by everyone.
    At least Google is describing what they do, which makes me tend to believe more of the "spin" you were alluding to.
    :)

22. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Probably the easiest way is to use nslookup.

20110711.png

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ever since there's been threads about DNS, I've tried several and I ended up using Google DNS for its speed. It is a matter of perception, I can't give exact figures, like Page says it feels very fast.

I don't know about security, but what kind of threats could there be that can't be dealt with my own security applications?

24. Hungry Man

If your DNS server is unprotected it can be poisoned. This can lead you to go to sites that may LOOK legitimate (you'll try to go to facebook, it'll take you to "facebok.com" or something) and then you'll enter incorrect information. Or the webpage will try to download malware or try to exploit your browsers/ plugins.

25. guest

guest Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.