Google Desktop Search

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gberns, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gberns

gberns Registered Member

With much fanfare Google released its new desktop search today. Did you know, however, that it is incompatible with NOD32? It will not install due to the presence on my computer of imon.dll. The FAQ says to solve this known problem I should remove NOD32 from my system.

Same problem with Panda anti virus and quite a few firewalls. See http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10742

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I've heard a lot of bad things about the google desktop. I personally don't mind the Google Toolbar, but I wouldn't install the desktop. I heard that it is easily comprimised and security is an issue. ~just what I heard~

3. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I installed the beta Google desktop search with Nod 32 installed but with AMOn & Imon not running (I was using KAV as my resident then). In that setup Google would throw up a warning that it wa not going to work each time it started - but then proceeded to work perfectly.

Since then I uninstalled KAV & activated all of NOD32. Google search continued to work fine apart from the warning. Today I installed the new version 1 of GDS, hoping that the issue might be resolved, Guess what? It STILL warns me that GDS will not work - and then proceeds to work perfectly.

I don't know about the security issues but it is a very useful prog. On my machine it cohabits well with NOD32 apart from the initial warning. However, I have removed it from windows startup simply because the warning is such a nuisance on each boot. I just run it when I need it & it works well.

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

I am pretty sure ESET already contacted Google to solve this problem...

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I'm pretty sure there's only a couple of plausible reasons for advising another companies customers to uninstall....None of the ones I can think of at the moment speak well of the company doing the recommending and God help us all if there's ever an eBay desktop....

6. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

Trouble is IMON vs. GDS.

Simple solution - don't use stupid google search and try free Copernic Desktop Search...

Only one minus for CDS - you can't search from singe query box (there are a separated boxes for files, mails, mp3... etc).

7. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

This is something that Eset needs to sort out though.

Google can do no wrong, in the eyes of the masses and the media, so if it's a choice between installing the heavily-hyped GDS and buying (a relatively unknown) AV called NOD32, guess who will win.

I've used (and introduced many to) NOD32 for over four years but I've always felt that it would be more successful (commercially) with a different name. It always gets a giggle when I mention it. Here in the UK I've found that people automatically think, 'Noddy!'

Maybe it's just the people I mix with!

William

8. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

9. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I've also installed Copernic & Yahoo desktop searches, but I find myself constantly turning when in a hurry to Google because it's so easy & that is partly because it uses the familiar google internet search results layout.

10. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I know this is way off topic but when the conversation is about Google I thought I would add this from privacy policy;

I am now thinking of ditching Gmail. :doubt:

11. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I don't trust in any companie like Google. I like and I use Gmail too much, however, I didn't trust neither Yahoo!, Hotmail, Google and related services as well telephone company and others companies like that. There's no privacity in Internet even if you use an firewall.
    Speaking about Google and the dll problem with NOD and others AVs, I think maybe all AV can speak with Google at the same time about the Issue. As from I know, Eset, Dr.Web, EZ Trust, DiamondCS and maybe others have issues with this new product. And I think that a company that recommend to users to uninstall others product speaks very very bad about theirself.
    The important thing that I want to said is that Eset isn't the problem here, the problem is Google. Not only NOD is affected, many others AVs are affected too.

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'd bet nortons & mcafees are on backstage...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.