Google Desktop - local queries sent to google

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Bill Stout, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Stout

Bill Stout Registered Member

A search didn't reveal posts cautioning that Google Desktop can be a leak of confidential information. Apologies if this is well known here.

Searching desktop though google desktop sends typed info to Google as you type.

Example: Use Google Desktop with default search for local desktop. The phrase 'SOCIALSECURITY' was used as a test phrase, this represents private information you may be looking for on your computer. Ethereal network sniffer reveals that this information is sent to suggestqueries.google.com.

Results from network sniffer (summarized):

GET /complete/search?q=SOCI&output=desktop&hl=en&sourceid=gd HTTP/1.1
    Accept: */*
    Accept-Encoding: gzip
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Google Desktop)
    Host: suggestqueries.google.com

...............Q(K-*....U2.3P....)./.I-K......Gp.........GET /complete/search?q=SOCIAL&output=desktop&hl=en&sourceid=gd HTTP/1.1

...............Q(K-*....U2.3P....)./.I-K......Gp.........GET /complete/search?q=SOCIALSECURI&output=desktop&hl=en&sourceid=gd HTTP/1.1

...............Q(K-*....U2.3P....)./.I-K......Gp.........GET /complete/search?q=SOCIALSECURIT&output=desktop&hl=en&sourceid=gd HTTP/1.1

...............Q(K-*....U2.3P....)./.I-K......Gp.........GET /complete/search?q=SOCIALSECURITY&output=desktop&hl=en&sourceid=gd HTTP/1.1
    One of the items which causes local search queries to be sent to Google is the preference to 'Show spelling corrections'. This can be disabled by changing Google desktop preferences - Display tab - Quick Find section - Show spelling corrections. This is in the current version of Google Desktop - 5.0.0611.15590-en-pb.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.