Google Desktop 2

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by pepito, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepito

pepito Registered Member

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Unfortunately, it still check for IMON's presence. We have contacted them numerous times, but nothing has been rectified on their part yet. Maybe if a lot of people give them a feedback re. IMON, they would be willing to remove the check.

3. bcronin

bcronin Registered Member

What, I can ignore the check and install it anyway with no ill effects?

Bob Cronin

4. Marcos

Yep, install GDS first and then NOD32. When GDS throws a warning message, just ignore it.

5. Staz

Staz Guest

Bugger :(
    It won't let me install Google Desktop Search 2 because of NOD32.
    Any ways around this?

6. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

try to disable imon during GDS inistall time

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

it doesn't work - if you have NOD32 installed, the GDS installer detects the presence of imon.dll, whether resident or not - at least it appeared to when I tried to get it to install without IMON loaded...

It looks like a NOD32 uninstalls, GDS install, then NOD32 re-install if the only option - which is a real PITR...

8. M_S

M_S Registered Member

Hi, I have a question about this: I've just installed NOD32 (which is fantastic and I'm wondering why I didn't buy it ages ago). I installed GDS on the day it was released, so it was already there when I installed NOD. Yes, I get the warning message from GDS, which I just click to make it go away (which is a pain, but not too big a pain), and then GDS appears to work okay.

My question is: am I wrong? Is the conflict between these programs more than just a warning message coming up? Or is GDS undermining my security? And is there something going wrong with GDS which I've just not realised yet?

9. mrtwolman

AFAIK, with latest NOD32 version GDS should work flawlessly. ay-ay, point is the IMON.DLL check in GDS...

10. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Why exactly does GDS check for IMON.DLL? After installing GDS do you have to exclude the Google files (I saw that on this forum here) .. 7th post down.

11. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I might try this workaround, but must say it makes me uncomfortable that GDS - which is handy and neat - makes me do anything at all to NOD - which I trust... See in this regard another thread on this forum about security concerns re GDS.

12. mrtwolman

Try to ask google :)

13. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

They say they are working on a solution.

Doesn't look like it's a high priority on their list though, based on the progress they've made since the first beta release :)

Ah well, their loss, not mine...

14. zashita

zashita Registered Member

They are working on a solution for months, and the only thing they have to do is to put off the IMON detection, as IMON is no longer a problem with GDS now (since some months too) :)

15. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Yes, it's really sad.

I'm surely not going to uninstall NOD32, install GDS and re-install NOD32 to get GDS working.

If they can't solve, off to the competitor I go :)

16. Dermod

Dermod Registered Member

Hi,

Newbie here - I joined because I'm a fan of NOD32 and Google and am frustrated about the conflict between them.

Are you saying, Marcus, that you have GDS running on your computer with NOD32, and it's just a matter of uninstalling/reinstalling NOD32? Are there warning messages flagged up by GDS every time you boot up or was that just the once when you installed it? Are you happy with things now?

Thanks

Dermod

17. pepito

pepito Registered Member

That's what it sounded like, I might give it a go myself soon :)

18. M_S

M_S Registered Member

Well, I installed NOD after GDS, and I still have the problem... Let us know how it goes, pepito.

19. Marcos

It must work if you install GDS before NOD32. After the installation of NOD32, you'll need to ignore the message thrown by GDS.

20. M_S

M_S Registered Member

Yes, that's what I've been doing, and it seems to work fine - but there is that irritating message. Ne'ermind.

21. Dermod

Dermod Registered Member

just one message? once, on installation?

or one message every time you use GDS?

<confused>

22. Marcos

Everytime GDS starts. There's nothing we can do about it, it's Google's turn now.

23. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I get it every time I restart my machine, but not every time I access GDS, so it's just once per day (or every few days depending on how often I restart). It is a drag, but it's a small drag. I'm more concerned now about the possible security and privacy issues with GDS, to tell the truth.

24. Fyle

Fyle Registered Member

Any news on this? This really is a PITA.. I love Google but I'd never go through uninstalling NOD32 just to make GDS work, and even then only with that error message. I think I'll just send Google an email and tell them to get their act together. Can't be THAT hard. After all, it really shouldn't be a big deal to fix this.

Is there absolutely no workaround short of having to uninstall NOD32, install GDS, then reinstall NOD32? There's no way in hell I'm doing that and I'd love to have GDS on my system.

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.