Google debuts Chrome for Mac, Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ronjor, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ZDNet

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

*Looks at list of problems* Ouch

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would wait until they have a version they feel is safe for users to try.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

FYI it adds a cron job for updating and sets itself as default browser:thumbd:

i havent tested it myself but i read it from someone who has.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No thanks.....

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I haven't tried Google Chrome either, but Chromium is downloadable as a program in a self-contained directory, with no hidden extras.

Seriously, though, what's so wrong about automatic updating? Every other browser does it as well, and for a darned good reason.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

linux has package managers which are used for updating.
    so they should provide a google chrome repo to use instead of the standard .deb file on its own.
    setting the browser as default was more the reason for :thumbd:

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

"Should"?

I don't get it. What's wrong with the present method? Would you rather Chrome silently change your repository settings and import PGP keys in the background? (I think this would be far more likely to piss off users.)

I agree, that's pretty rude behavior. But Chrome certainly doesn't do this on Windows, and considering how this is second-hand information you got from someone else I think it might be a good idea to verify it.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    for a start google shouldnt force auto updating......
    surely it could ask the user if they want to add the repo and import the key?

for example when I install opera in debian i add the opera deb repo, then install opera using apt-get or via synaptec.
    then the package manager will list opera update as soon as its avaliable along with the other updates.

in fedora I couldnt find a rpm opera repo so i simply used the bultin update thing which doesnt download and install but tells me an update is avalible so i can download it manually from opera.com

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

They could, it's just that I don't understand what's wrong with the current approach and the need to :thumbd: it.

As you mentioned, Opera is another browser that uses a separate updating mechanism from the repos (unless you install the repo version), and it works just fine.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the problem with the current approch is that the cron job automatically updates the program without asking the user. the newer version may have issues with inpact the user. with firefox,IE,opera etc they ask the user if they want to update. with those you can choose not to install the upgrades and wait awhile. google forces the new update as soon as its stable acording to google without any user interaction. thats the issue i have.
    Do you understand what im trying to say?

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Yes, I see your point now.

In the case of browsers, though, I think an argument can be made for automatic silent updates. Firefox for example has been doing this in Windows for ages.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I thought firefox always came up with the dialog box that says an update is avaliable do you want to install it now or later?

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Assuming default settings: by the time you see that prompt, an update has already been downloaded, Ff is just asking for permission to restart and install the update.

At least, that's the behavior on my end for Shiretoko and Minefield.

15. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It really doesn't matter to me either way as long as Chrome's updating method is transparent. If Google wants to set up its own repository for updates (along with providing PGP keys) then it makes no difference to me if I get updates directly from google or from my distro.

But, seeing how all the distros I have used have always released browser updates within a day of the upstream release, I don't think the current method is inadequate.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Um, it's worse on windows... scheduled updating task as well as a reg entry for bootup, plugins for IE and Fx to update chrome...

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i know lol but its always worse on windows.
    thats why i ditched it on windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.