Google Chrome setup

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lunarlander, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

For a product such as Chrome that is built with security designed in, I find that their setup program is anti-secure. They required me to disable Software Restriction Policy. And required me to set Windows Firewall Outbound policy to Allow. Otherwise, the setup program will give error codes.

I have tried giving SRP 2 path rules, one to allow the folder containing the setup.exe, and second to allow execution from appdata\local\temp. The setup program ran a little bit and then stopped. So I had to turn off SRP.

Then it wants internet access. So I made an outbound rule allowing the setup.exe. But no, the access request was not comming from there, probably some exe in temp. So I had to set Outbound to Allow.

After the setup is complete, the program resides in \users\<yourAcc>\Appdata\Local\Google. I don't know why it is designed to operate from there instead of \Program Files\. Then it asks for the admin password to do god knows what, and I canceled that.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Worked fine with SRP for me. What's your OS? What version are you trying to install? Do the old ones work?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Its on Windows 7. I managed to install 12.0.742.91.

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Download the "Google Chrome Standalone Enterprise .MSI". It installs to program files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.