Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer as the Web’s most used browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

edit: These are, of course, only based on StatCounter's count and should be taken as such.
    http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/0...ernet-explorer-as-the-webs-most-used-browser/

Weird stats. Nice trends though, I see Firefox usage turning around and IE continuing to fall. Seems good to me.

statcounter.png

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Those numbers are quite different from those of NetApplications.
    Their NetMarketShare' Browser Market Share numbers for last 12 months are;
    Internet Explorer 53.19%
    Firefox 20.65%
    Chrome 19.04%
    Safari 4.97%
    Opera 1.66% link

Over the last quarter, Chrome hasn't gained much neither according to their numbers. Afaik, Statcounter numbers don't measure unique visitors.
    I don't doubt that Chrome is on the rise though.

3. Hungry Man

Yeah, I would take these with a grain of salt. A large chunk, really.

The trends are more interesting than the numbers.

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Curious to know how many of the Chrome users are running XP...

Still many XP users in my area, and I've been switching them to Google Chrome. To have a browser that is still properly being maintained for this old platform. I like Google Chrome but like even more Internet Explorer. And XP users running Internet Explorer 8 (or less) isn't safe, and don't get the browser launching or browsing performance that Google Chrome offers.

5. guest

guest Guest

Oh nice should we start calling Chrome a monopoly? It's the only browser of choice in the Chromebook market (unless you replace Chrome OS with something else). lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  6. guest

guest Guest

Please, add to this misleading title: ...according to StatCounter*

And then in the post: *which uses very poor methodologies that don't reflect the real state of things.

7. Hungry Man

It's not really my job to supplement posts/ articles. I copy/pasted directly from the site. If you have an issue with it feel free to take it up with them.

In this particular case I will actually add the "according to StatCounter" to the first post.

If you want to discuss why you think the methodology is flawed feel free.

8. guest

guest Guest

9. niki

niki Registered Member

Just wondering whether business users were counted in the survey. I honestly can't imagine businesses using Chrome. Would like to see a breakdown in personal use and business use percentages and really see if the chart would show different numbers then.

10. Hungry Man

Something I've said a thousand times before.

As I said in the earlier post you should take it with a big chunk of salt, the trends are what are interesting.

11. guest

guest Guest

StatCounter methodology:

- simply publishes their data as they record it, without any adjustment. Doesn't remove Chrome prerendered browsing traffic;

- simply reports absolute global page views. Does no “geoweighting” of that data.

- by reporting just traffic, StatCounter relies on the location and web traffic of its partner sites versus affording any weight to how many people are actually on the internet in that country.

- StatCounter only uses total pages views by country, and that number is only as good as the site coverage they have in any given country.

- Japan, a country that represents the number three country in the world in terms of internet users, barely makes the top 30 according to StatCounter. There are lots of similar examples.

- StatCounter only reports absolute page hits without any filtering, Net Applications actually reports usage share based on unique visitors.

For more detailed info, read this.

12. Hungry Man

Yeah, you just posted that. And as the article says, and as I've stated, the trends are what are interesting and both their recommended website and statcounter tend to agree on such trends.

13. guest

guest Guest

14. Hungry Man

I see Chrome going up from 14% to 20%, Firefox going down from 23% to 20%, and IE going from 54% to 53% back to 54%.

So their Chrome/Firefox trends seem similar but their IE seems off-base.

15. guest

guest Guest

And that means overall different trends being reported by StatCounter and NetApplications.

16. Hungry Man

Only in terms of IE. The Chrome/Firefox trends are the same.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Maxthon 3 also supports XP. I'm pretty sure Firefox & SeaMonkey run perfectly well & safely on XP.

18. Daveski17

I don't want to beleaguer the point, but I honestly still don't think that any of these often contradictory figures mean anything (at all). Politicians use statistics all the time, often for their own tendentious purposes. After a while they cease to mean anything.

19. Hungry Man

Believe what you like. The information is there for those interested.

I mean, there is a percentage of users using x y and z it's just a matter of accuracy.

20. Daveski17

It's the 'accuracy' that worries me.

21. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

If ever there was an example of monopolistic practice Google's pushing of Chrome every time you go to search for anything would have to be it. Despite being a minnow in a sea of IE at the time and despite the reluctance of the majority of users to even experiment with changing from the default, from the first I saw that advertisement I predicted that Chrome would become the world's number one browser on this basis above all else: if you push the same message enough times it does eventually seep in.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

There are possible, and very plausible, explanations I've come across for the discrepancy between the two sets of stats but discussing them in a civil manner is, unfortunately, totally out of the question. I know that my post, in particular, will come under scrutiny, but it does appear that a lot of advertising and propaganda is being posted of late.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

At least it is clear that Google is pushing its own product. Another company apparently finds it necessary to seed various fora with members whose apparent task is to talk up some things and rubbish others.

And, before it's pointed out, yes, there has been at least one instance in which Google employees or a person standing to benefit pushed Chrome in a way that would boost its position in search engine rankings, IIRC.

24. Daveski17

Thank god for that!

Where?

25. Daveski17

That's an understatement of gargantuan proportions, Google is pushing Chrome so hard it will eventually give itself a hernia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.