Google Chrome OS - Is this the future?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Greetings!

Back to the Future, Part II. After Moblin, a new, radical concept that promises to change the concept of computing from personal to amorphous, we have Google Chrome OS. Enjoy a review of Google Chrome (Chromium) OS, a Google operating system based on a Linux kernel, built around the Chrome browser and focused on the concept of running entirely in the cloud. Goodbye classic desktop, hello always-online netbook.

If you're interested, do take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/google-chrome-os.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If this Ever becomes the standard I will be coding my own OS to run offline. I will never have a "all in the cloud" OS to me its a radically stupid Idea. To have all your data up in a cloud where it can be compromised just as easy or sold rights to the highest bidder.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

How about a video/music/games machine ...?
    Mrk

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Really only thing I would ever use a Cloud OS for would be Casual net browsing. I would not do Banking email nothing else on it that could be compromised.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

My personal trend is to find more solutions in the cloud, not because it's better, but because it makes it easier for me to switch platforms and play with all kinds of operating systems and reinstallations without worrying about data backups or file conversions.

With Gmail I don't have to worry about converting mailboxes or contact lists anymore (remember the last time you tried to convert contact lists between Thunderbird, Outlook Express and Opera M2?)
    Google reader offers RSS feeds online.
    Google Docs offers the basic features that I need for my office suite.
    A year ago I was hoping to replace MS Money as my financial manager with a cloud solution and only recent releases of Quicken Online, Yodlee, clearcheckbook and other web v2 solutions offer enough features for me that I got independent from my desktop solution and Windows (goodbye upgrade fees!).
    There is also photo editing online by Adobe, but I'm not sure about that, since I'm a novice in that area.

I'm still looking for videochat between Linux and Windows, perhaps Meebo.com offers a reliable solution?

I don't want to spend money on webconnect on my cell phone, but I dream about cloud computing on Android.
    For me a dualcore Atom netbook could be an option, would be nice to be able to take with me anywhere.

So, how does Google Chrome OS print to a local printer?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

There is alot of problems with this type of approach.
    of course the first is privacy problems. another problem is that internet for homes just isnt good enough yet. if the internet goes off your device is as useful as a brick. same if the google servers have problems.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you for the review, Mrkvonic! Personally, no I can't see myself embracing this at all. I want something I can mould and modify into my own customized creation, something tangible within my reach.

8. tsec

tsec Registered Member

If you think you can trust Google, think again.

China, anyone?

I, for one, will be avoiding this garbage like the plague.

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I would imagine this OS will be open-source, so if you are a coder, you can have your own customized creation. And if you aren't a coder, I am sure there will be some hackers who will create a private version of the OS just like they did with the browser.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, definitely not a coder :) I just mean I want more hands on involvement in the O/S with applications and other features such as those built-in to Windows, rather than this "everything in the cloud" concept.

11. wilbertnl

Sounds like a regular linux/freeBSD distro or Windows then. Google Chrome OS is just not that.
    I would like to see Chrome add-ons of similar quality as firefox add-ons, though.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's what I mean. I'd rather stick to the current concept of Windows or Linux. This chrome concept just seems too detached from the physical desktop based on what I've read about it, although I'd have to actually use it to gain a far better understanding of what it's all about.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

From what I could tell, Chrome OS, although open-source itself, appears to be a Linux distro that locks the user to proprietary (web) apps.

How odd.

14. wilbertnl

I do wonder though:
    Kernel + Chrome browser = 313 MB image?

15. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I am sure there are a few more apps bundled with it, though I admit that 313MB looks a little large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.