[Google Chrome] Extensions fail to block tracking/social addons

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

... in Chrome Web Store?

I'm running Do Not Track Plus with AdBlock Plus (Fanboy's Adblock Complete and regional list). I noticed that they don't block Google+? I didn't check Google Analytics yet.

If you open some extensions page at Chrome Web Store, you normally see a Google+ icon there, at the top right side. None of the extensions managed to block it.

Just in case, I also installed Ghostery, and it also fails to block Google+ connection in Chrome Web Store. They do block in other websites.

The only way to block Google+ in Chrome Web Store was to create a regular expression rule in Nimi Web Cleanser, which I also run.

Are they forbidden by Google? o_O I just find it odd. :blink:

2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I checked myself and found the same, Google + is not blocked in the Chrome web store. Can you show a screen shot or post the regex expression that blocks it in Nimi?

3. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

The Adversity Antisocial list blocks it on Chrome Web Store. I use it in conjunction with Fanboy's Ultimate List.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You need a special permission to run content on the Chrome Web Store as it could be used for privilege escalation (install extension that just has access to store, then use that extension to run a script that installs separate malicious extension from the store through clickjacking etc.)

5. m00nbl00d

Unfortunately, I came to realize that even though the Google+ icon is blocked, the actual connection still occurs. I'll have to see if it's actual possible to block the connection with Nimi.

6. m00nbl00d

The thing is, at least another extension that's not available at Chrome Web Store doesn't block it either, even though it does block Google+ in another websites. o_O :doubt:

Anyway, I gave this -https://developers.google.com/chrome/web-store/terms and this -https://developers.google.com/chrome/web-store/program_policies a reading, and couldn't find anything that could point to what you mentioned.

Do you have an official link? After all, if I were a Google Chrome extension developer, I'd like to know what I have to do. :D

7. Hungry Man

There's a bug report where they talk about it. I don't have a link but if you search the bug reports you'll find it.

8. m00nbl00d

Bug report? Shouldn't something like a special permission to run content on the Chrome Web Store be provided at the extension's developers page itself? o_O

Anyway, I'll see if I can find something about it.

9. Hungry Man

The bug report was filed before the permission existed.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.