Google Checkout / Wallet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Noob, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Recently i received an email from Google requesting a COPY of my Drivers license/ID/Passport and a bank statement to verify my Google Wallet account.

I've been using Google Wallet (Previously known as Google Checkout) to purchase apps from the Play Store for around a year already but now they wont let me do it unless i submit the requested documents.
    I have nothing against Google but this is total BS. Why would they need that information to verify my account? Dont they already verify the CC information with the bank?

I sent them an email and they replied back with an email that is not even properly written, in fact, they even wrote a totally different name.
    An hour later they sent me another email that LOOKS like a scam because its full of errors (Considering its coming from a big company like Google, they shouldn't be sending email that seems to be written by kids) but this time they had the name right.

What do you guys think about it. Im really ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ at this "#$%.

PS. I know my english is not perfect.

/RANT

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Did you check the "From" address really carefully, to make sure it's actually from Google? Have you checked your system for malware (some old school nasties out there still like to steal email addresses from contact lists)? You're being scammed, there's no doubts about that. I wouldn't send them jack until I actually went to the Google website, found the proper support contact and fired off an email to that address. I'd tell you to call, but Google stupidly doesn't do phone support so you're out of luck there.

You may want to go as far as changing your wallet account details and calling your bank to make certain your credit card and what not are all in order. If you've been slammed with data stealing malware there's no telling what else has been forged.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

View the message source, "From" can be spoofed.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It is a legit email and they do have a phone support line just for Google Wallet. The problem is that i dont live in the US and im a bit skeptical that Google really needs that amount of information, i mean they what me to SCAN these documents and send it to them. Come on!
    Im pretty sure all of this information is not really necessary, i mean . . . i use Paypal, Amazon and a dozen other online retailers with no problem, why would Google want all of that information. Now Google is really taking this to the next level. Really upset and mad about this.
    Oh, they also suspended my account Wallet account when they sent me the first email. So i can no longer purchase anything through the Play Store or anything that uses Google Wallet.

It seems like this is a well known problem around the internet, there are lots of people that have received requests from Google for these documents.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

They aren't going to send you emails that are as poorly written as you say they look to be, so something isn't right here. The fact that they've shut down your account shows that they themselves think something very fishy is going on if, again, it's a real, official email from them. It doesn't matter if you live in the U.S or not, call the support line and find out what's going on.

Edit: A lot of information I'm finding about instances like this point to either disputed or unauthorized charges to a credit card/bank account, changed bank information or other personal details and regular old errors on Google's end. The weird and poorly spelled email still bugs me, but otherwise it looks like Google itself thinks something is wrong. By the way, I've yet to find any instances where anyone supplied these documents, and the situations were resolved.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

@Noob
    Why don't you directly get in touch with Google? Do not contact them on the number provided in the emails you received, just get their number from their website, call them and explain all this. If it is real, they will let you know, if not then they will investigate on your behalf.

Keep in mind that you are violating Google's TOS by using Google Wallet if you are not present in US. That might be the reason why they suspended your account in the first place.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I never even thought about the TOS..but surely they have a Wallet for foreign countries as well? They are after all an international corporate behemoth.

8. Raza0007

No Google Wallet can only be used in US. I called them up in April and they said "NO, Google Wallet is only available for use in US"

I do not know if they have changed this policy or not. I think that if your credit card is issued in US and you are making an online purchase from a foreign country, they may allow it to go through, but it is still risky as in case of a misuse of your wallet, you may not be covered by Google.

9. guest

guest Guest

Just FYI, from Google Wallet FAQs:

10. Raza0007

It says you can purchase Google wallet app from play store if you are outside US. Can you also use Google wallet to make purchases outside US?

By the way, Google Wallet app is free if you are a US resident.

Google recently started a money transfer service and you need Google Wallet for that. I believe from outside US, you can only use Google Wallet for this money transfer service to transfer money to US.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I only use my Google Wallet to purchase apps from the Play Store. In fact, i didnt even know that i had a Google Wallet but Google converted all Google Checkout accounts into Google Wallet accounts.

Im not sending them anything. They are really screwed up, sending me emails with the wrong name and not written properly.

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I am glad they do try and validate your ID, but its a bit disappointing they can't use electronic methods, like pay-pal does by depositing a small amount in your bank account with a validation code.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Raza0007

Don't send them anything but at least call and ask them why they disabled your account? You mentioned that you have been using it for about a year with no problems, so what happened that they suddenly decided to suspend your account? It won't hurt just to call them and you can share your findings with us, so we can learn something too.

By the way, I did a random search on the internet and found these following links that suggest that you cannot use Google wallet outside US, at least in the UK. The latest post is dated July 10th 2013.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/284228-google-wallet-nexus-4-uk.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/295649-google-wallet-united-kingdom.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/287503-when-will-google-wallet-app-available-uk.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.