Goodbye Windows 8... for me linux...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mattdocs12345, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Just this morning I downloaded Linux Zorin 7 and also 6.4 which I'm running now via a full install.
    Firefox 23 with several add-ons is my preferred browser and so far- this is my most satisfying experience yet with a Linux ditro.

At some point in time XP will not even be supported by the majority of third party software and (in my opinion) the last three desktop operating systems offer nothing of value to me, so this is my response to Microsoft.

I know there is a learning curve, but one also very much exists in the switch to any other OS.
    I hope this first impression is a lasting one and I will know much more as I audition compatible applications, particularly for DVD burning and file conversion.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you stick to the top 10 or so on Distrowatch, you probably won't have too many problems, however, choice is one of the selling points of linux too.. just depends on what you're looking for, stability or otherwise..

My 2 favorites, after a lot of hopping for years, are Mint Cinnamon and Debian 7. I could easily make the switch to linux on either of those. I'm just not quite there yet (still) because I like 7 so much... Some day perhaps... :)

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

IMHO its best to stick with the one of the most popular distros and only change if you have a good reason, too easy to get stuck in a distro hopping rut.
    Windows is not perfect when it comes to version choice and purchasing ... 5 versions of 7, 7 versions of server 2008, 4 editions of server 2012, 3 versions of 8 that are all still available to purchase from MS and ignoring the different purchasing models (upgrades, retail, per seat, per processor, 64bit and 32bit options).

Similar with Windows, you need to understand LUA, the difference between new and old style apps

Out of interest what do you code to need low level ASM ?

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I haven't tried playing with FW yet. But here is a thread i started on linux and security. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=352674
    But before I even consider playing with FW I have to get a bit more comfortable with Linux in the first place.
    That was my experiance too. And Firefox is one familiar software that simply acts and behaves almost exactly the same on Windows and Linux. It certainly makes the transition so much easier. Not to mention that this is also a 64 bit firefox unlike Windows 32 bit counterpart.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'll check that link out. I need to fire up an old box and do some playing around too.
    What a strange coincidence because Zeus has all of mine. :rolleyes:

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Agreed. Shankle might be a programmer but he's obviously not familiar with Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.