Goodbye Appguard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mick92z, Sep 2, 2015.

1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Today on a desktop I use only occassionally, I noticed my AV avira was partially disabled and asking for a restart.I restarted several times,without sucess. I decided to uninstall and reinstall Avira. This is when my problems started.I kept getting access denied errors, I already had appguard on install, but to be sure I exited appguard and used msconfig to make sure appguard did not start.
    To cut a long story short, I could not install any programs or uninstall either. System restore failed. Access denied errors or you need admin rights etc.
    Only when i uninstalled appguard did everything come back to normal. Everything is now fine.
    While i realize appguard is effective in stopping malware, it has caused me to much trouble today. So it's coming off my system.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Definitely AppGuard is not for everybody, of course.

3. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Do you have UAC enabled? Sometimes when using AppGuard and UAC, it interferes with installs. I have to disable both for the installation to work.

4. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hi Infected, apparently UAC is set to default, so yes it is enabled. I was not aware of any conflicts. However I didn't expect appguard to be having any effect when it had been exited, disabled from starting, and having rebooted. I am certainly NOT an advanced computer user, so have found appguard to much.I don't want to get into any kind of serious debate about the program, to be honest it has left me a bit dissapointed.

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I understand. A lot of programs, many of them AVs, have really bad auto update routines, that heavily collide with anything that resembles software restriction policies. Dropping and executing unsigned files from user-space is not unusual.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I hate when AV developers do that. So far I have not had that problem with Eset. Most application updates from Eset have to be manually installed though.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

What OS are you using?

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

That's one reason I like ESET, it's update process is SRP/HIPS-friendly.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

I concur. Eset is SRP/HIPS friendly. It's one of the reasons I use Eset also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.