good virtualization utility that doesnt modify the mbr?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chrome_sturmen, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hey guys, on my c: partition I am running server 2003, with firstdefense isr, and its working great, no complaints. for base imaging I am using acronis. I decided to install windows xp on a seperate partition, for games mainly, rather than from within firstdefense, as sometimes it's advantageous to actually have that true second partition. so now that I have windows xp installed, like with server 2003, I am looking for that 2nd layer of protection, only I cant use firstdefense with both server 2003 and windows xp. neither shadowuser or deepfreeze run on my system for some reason. can anyone recommend a good virtualization program that compliments acronis well, which doesnt modify the master boot record?

t.i.a.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I would highly recommend - 'BufferZone'. Look where your most vulnerable and then decide if you would need the Full version (paid), or a free version which will cover certain programs like Browser, IM Client. Here is a link.

http://www.trustware.com/

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Question 1, DeepFreeze and ShadowUser do not run - in conjunction with the other two - or not run at all.

Question 2, why not use Acronis? Unless you install the Startup Recovery Manager, it won't touch the MBR.

Mrk

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

in answer to question 1- deepfreeze nor shadowuser run properly, when I install either, I have an nforce chipset and have heard there're some compatibility issues with these programs.

I will be using acronis for base imaging, but would like to use a complimentary utility so that I wouldnt have to make new images often, basically the same reason I use firstdefense isr in conjunction with acronis over on my server 2003 partition. I remember a few months back, I was trying an experimental program, and thought that I should first make a fresh acronis image. I didnt feel like taking the half hour to make a new image, and I figured the new program would be ok, but it wound up bluescreening my system. I had an older acronis image and restored from that-but I lost a month of work, because I didnt want to take that half hour and make an image before trying the program. So then, acronis is great for base imaging, but within that, I like a faster snapshot or rollback utility, only like I said, deepfreeze and shadowuser neither work. If theres nothing available, i'll just have to learn to be more disciplined about making new acronis images as I progress through the setup of xp.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Which Nforce? I has it too on one of me comps. Are you using the Nvidia firewall perhaps? This one is a naughtly little dog.
    I really can't tell you about older versions and specific incompatibilities you experienced, but I'm using Acronis on systems with dual-boot and GRUB, and have successfully restored both the C and Linux partitions without touching the MBR.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.